Cham not shooting his tongue

Oh sorry, I forgot to add, mealworms are not recommended as they are very low in nutrition and have a hard exoskeleton that is tough for some chameleons to digest. I recommend switching to superworms...but those should only be a treat because they are high in fat and chams start to get picky and only want supers.

chameleon-gutload.jpg
chameleon-food.jpg

Aww, poor dude. I do not have experience with an unhealthy or sick chameleon in any way, so I dont really know what to say and I am not comfortable giving advice. Perhaps someone else will jump in on this thread to help you out.

I am no expert, but to me this looks like classic early onset MBD. I see you have answered the questions. I will be back when I have more time.

I myself don't have a chameleon but some advice I've learned is get a popsicle stick put a drop of something sticky on the end then put a cricket it will help their tongue accuracy

Hi. You’ve been given great advice and I don’t really see where I can add much. I’m not familiar with your supplements but I believe they are ok. When Kinyonga shows up, she surely can tell you better about them. Your gut loading could improve a little...I use all organic greens, veggies and fruits. Whatever you feed you feeders will also end up in your cham. I’d get rid of the bread and just go with fresh produce. There are several commercial but loads available like cricket crack and bug burger, to name a few. I use bug burger and add bee pollen and some spirulina to it, along with fresh produce.
As for his tongue, you’ll need someone more experienced than me to tell you more. The only experience I have with that personally is when one of my girls struck at a hornworm that had firmly affixed itself to a branch. For a week or so she wouldn’t use her tongue fully, but it resolved on it’s own. However, you should be looking around for a good reptile vet. Whether you need one now or later, is always best to figure out in advance of needing one who sees chameleons. Definitely get a fecal done.
You should really get rid of the dirt on the enclosure floor as that adds another risk for impaction. Bare floor is best and easiest to keep clean.

I myself don't have a chameleon but some advice I've learned is get a popsicle stick put a drop of something sticky on the end then put a cricket it will help their tongue accuracy
I’d be very cautious about doing something like this as the chameleon’s tongue could stick to the sticky stuff and cause an injury. Chams shouldn’t need any help or training to strike with accuracy unless there’s something else going on.

Oh don't worry, getting him on proper care he will recover. For now try to cup feed. Confine the feeders so it is easier for him. This way you can also track how much he eats.
Really? I’d convinced myself that he was going to break all his bones and die! ? Maybe he’s just hurt his tongue as his legs and movement all seem fine..

Hi. You’ve been given great advice and I don’t really see where I can add much. I’m not familiar with your supplements but I believe they are ok. When Kinyonga shows up, she surely can tell you better about them. Your gut loading could improve a little...I use all organic greens, veggies and fruits. Whatever you feed you feeders will also end up in your cham. I’d get rid of the bread and just go with fresh produce. There are several commercial but loads available like cricket crack and bug burger, to name a few. I use bug burger and add bee pollen and some spirulina to it, along with fresh produce.
As for his tongue, you’ll need someone more experienced than me to tell you more. The only experience I have with that personally is when one of my girls struck at a hornworm that had firmly affixed itself to a branch. For a week or so she wouldn’t use her tongue fully, but it resolved on it’s own. However, you should be looking around for a good reptile vet. Whether you need one now or later, is always best to figure out in advance of needing one who sees chameleons. Definitely get a fecal done.
You should really get rid of the dirt on the enclosure floor as that adds another risk for impaction. Bare floor is best and easiest to keep clean.
Thank you ? I have emailed the vet to see if they can check his tongue and do a sample x

Really? I’d convinced myself that he was going to break all his bones and die! ? Maybe he’s just hurt his tongue as his legs and movement all seem fine..

It is not necessary an easy journey, but I have seen worse cases recover. In the forum try searching "MBD recovery" for inspiration of one that have pulled through.

Back
Top Bottom