Cham keeps falling

Curtis James

Established Member
I have bought a new cage for my Cham so the crickets can't get out, the screen is small that he can't really grab on to screen I am noticing. I have notice him fall 3 times now. Only once he fell to the bottom....

His temps are normal 79-83

Feeding 10-15 crickets a day.

Spraying every morning ad have dropper going during day and spray en I get home..

What am I doing wrong.... I don't want him to fall and get hurt..

I have recently introduced my 5 month old veiled to his new "semi" free range, he still gets wild hairs and tries to go places he clearly cannot hang on! More than likely just trying to explore his new area. I would provide more climbing routes in the area he wants to go, in my experience, if he wants up in that area he will be very persistent! All you can do is make it as safe as possible for him.

You can put a lot more vines at the top under the UVB and basking so there range is affective. He will stay at the top if you do this and you will maximize space :D

Will he learn he can't climb it? I no my Cham is really persistent.... More vines check! Thank you both!

He will get used to it trust me. He probly climbs the screen because he feels he isn't getting enough UVB or heat, so he would climb to the top to do so. Here is how I put my vines at the top for my Jackson.
pu4a5y8a.jpg

He will get used to it trust me. He probly climbs the screen because he feels he isn't getting enough UVB or heat, so he would climb to the top to do so. Here is how I put my vines at the top for my Jackson.
pu4a5y8a.jpg

Thank you that's help full, how do you keep the vines up without ripping the screen....

Screws on the wall and zip ties. And anytime man :) we keepers have to help each other out. Also I'm not sellin my cage so USC if I put holes in the screen
qy8urepy.jpg

For me, enclosures are always a continuing project! Tweaking.. adding... removing.. trying new methods. Just last weekend I got a hutch off craigslist and started taking it apart to put it back together!

Attachments

• 20130530_151643.jpg
    20130530_151643.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 59
For me, enclosures are always a continuing project! Tweaking.. adding... removing.. trying new methods. Just last weekend I got a hutch off craigslist and started taking it apart to put it back together!

Right I now have two cages and have only had my Cham for a month and a half....

More vines will help! Do you have a UVB source? I only see the one bulb. You'll need a tube type UVB bulb for him. I'd want to get the basking bulb closer to the enclosure and make sure it isn't too hot. You don't want the entire area of the top of the enclosure to be a basking site, just one spot on a vine should be good. Otherwise it doesn't allow for good thermo-regulation. I would want a few more misting sessions also. How's the humidity level? If you start noticing the urate getting a bit yellow and not bright white, and can't mist more, I'd try offering some greens like kale or mustard greens to help supplement his hydration. (If he will eat them) An automatic misting system is always more convenient! MistKing and Aquazamp are highly recommended here on the forums.

More vines will help! Do you have a UVB source? I only see the one bulb. You'll need a tube type UVB bulb for him. I'd want to get the basking bulb closer to the enclosure and make sure it isn't too hot. You don't want the entire area of the top of the enclosure to be a basking site, just one spot on a vine should be good. Otherwise it doesn't allow for good thermo-regulation. I would want a few more misting sessions also. How's the humidity level? If you start noticing the urate getting a bit yellow and not bright white, and can't mist more, I'd try offering some greens like kale or mustard greens to help supplement his hydration. (If he will eat them) An automatic misting system is always more convenient! MistKing and Aquazamp are highly recommended here on the forums.

The bulb I have is a 160 w with UVB in the bulb. I don't remember the name I think it's solar Glo. And his poop is pure white haven't had yellow for awhile now.

And I'm working on the vines this weekend. Also what's a good bulb set up you would recommend don't really enjoy mine.. Way to big..

Well, then you might not like mine...here it is in one of my blogs...https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/decadancin/754-winter-lighting-schedule.html.

It is a bit much :eek::rolleyes: but works really well. I don't like the all in one bulbs because your cham doesn't get to choose what it wants. Its all or nothing. I'd go with a tube UVB and a small dome fixture with a household incandescent bulb (maybe a 60 watt or so depending on the temp at the basking site). It would sit just above the enclosure and direct the light where you need it to go. ;)

Well, then you might not like mine...here it is in one of my blogs...https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/decadancin/754-winter-lighting-schedule.html.

It is a bit much :eek::rolleyes: but works really well. I don't like the all in one bulbs because your cham doesn't get to choose what it wants. Its all or nothing. I'd go with a tube UVB and a small dome fixture with a household incandescent bulb (maybe a 60 watt or so depending on the temp at the basking site). It would sit just above the enclosure and direct the light where you need it to go. ;)

That's intense! But great idea! if I had the time and space I would so do something like that. Yeah I am going to get a new bulb for him. Why kind of bulbs do you use?

Back
Top Bottom