Cham is hiding?

Hi all, my veiled chameleon has been hiding from me the past few days when I go to try feeding her. She will climb up into the corner of her enclosure on the screen and refuses to take from the tongs anymore. I made a feeder cup and started using it on Monday as my school schedule prevents me from being home to feed her before 4pm, which is too close to her bedtime. She'll take from the feeder cup fine, as I find it empty when I come home. She took from the tongs on Wednesday but has refused to since (I used the cup Thurs and Fri, but I tried tongs yesterday and today with no luck). Does anyone know why this might be happening? She used to tong feed like a champ, she'd take dubias and little pieces of apple from me and would even get on my hand to get food. Now whenever I open her enclusore she will immediately go to her corner. Is she just growing into a moody teen? Maybe she prefers taking from the cup and knows I'll leave it for her if she won't go for the tongs (I hate to see her go hungry so I'll leave her with food in the cup if she won't tong feed)? Could she possibly be gravid? She's around 8 ish months old and she's been showing spots sometimes lately, but not the classic gravid pattern. She's also been eating a little less but not by much (she left 2 feeders in the cup yesterday). I have had my husbandry reviewed previously and there were no issues. Does anyone know if I can get her to take from the tongs again or what might be going on?

Photos of her...recent ones please.
Sorry about the bad quality, I had to take 2 from outside the cage. I think the third one shows her pattern, but the spots are a little darker than it looks.
IMG-4173.JPG
IMG-4174.JPG
IMG-4175.jpg

Hi all, my veiled chameleon has been hiding from me the past few days when I go to try feeding her. She will climb up into the corner of her enclosure on the screen and refuses to take from the tongs anymore. I made a feeder cup and started using it on Monday as my school schedule prevents me from being home to feed her before 4pm, which is too close to her bedtime. She'll take from the feeder cup fine, as I find it empty when I come home. She took from the tongs on Wednesday but has refused to since (I used the cup Thurs and Fri, but I tried tongs yesterday and today with no luck). Does anyone know why this might be happening? She used to tong feed like a champ, she'd take dubias and little pieces of apple from me and would even get on my hand to get food. Now whenever I open her enclusore she will immediately go to her corner. Is she just growing into a moody teen? Maybe she prefers taking from the cup and knows I'll leave it for her if she won't go for the tongs (I hate to see her go hungry so I'll leave her with food in the cup if she won't tong feed)? Could she possibly be gravid? She's around 8 ish months old and she's been showing spots sometimes lately, but not the classic gravid pattern. She's also been eating a little less but not by much (she left 2 feeders in the cup yesterday). I have had my husbandry reviewed previously and there were no issues. Does anyone know if I can get her to take from the tongs again or what might be going on?
Honestly tong feeding is dangerous you should not be feeding that way anyways. If she hits the tongs and you pull back then she is at risk for major damage to her tongue. Some chams have even had to have their tongue amputated due to this. If you want to hand feed then use your fingers... Other wise a feeder run or cup is best.
Per the apples this is not advised at all. Veileds do not digest fruit and veg. Fruits in particular are higher in sugars and should not be fed. Stick to feeding your insects the fruit and veg rather then your chameleon.

Back
Top Bottom