Cham hearing/understand me...thoughts please

Curtis James

Established Member
So I'm wondering if my believed Cham can understand/ hear me. The other night I was watching him he slowly started to put foot on top of cage. I the proceeded to tell him no with a stern voice he looked at me and put foot down. He then tried again and again I told him no! He then got off branch and went away from top of cage.. Do you think my Cham can understand me? What are your thoughts!

They don't have any outer ear. Hearing might be a problem with that. They can detect vibration very well and 'hear' some low frequencies. I am afraid all your efforts to train your Chameleon by voice might be in vain.

But most of them clearly do understand, that you are a nuissance to their peaceful existence (but that understanding is clearly not related to hearing).

As pointed out by Ulrich, they do not have an external ear, nor do they have language that would be similar to ours. As a result, it's unlikely that the chameleon knew what you were saying to it - I would bet that the lower tones of your voice telling the chameleon "No" startled it somewhat, and as a result it avoided the part of the cage that was giving it the scare.

Chameleons, like most reptiles without an external ear, can't hear quite the same way we do - that's not to say they're completely deaf, but it's hard to say what they can hear and understand.

-Jen

Yeah that's what I figured but it was just so wired when I told him no he looked at me and it was almost like he knew! Or maybe it's just me. Hah. But I'll keep you all updated on my new found Cham whispering ability. Haha

As pointed out by Ulrich, they do not have an external ear, nor do they have language that would be similar to ours. As a result, it's unlikely that the chameleon knew what you were saying to it - I would bet that the lower tones of your voice telling the chameleon "No" startled it somewhat, and as a result it avoided the part of the cage that was giving it the scare.

Chameleons, like most reptiles without an external ear, can't hear quite the same way we do - that's not to say they're completely deaf, but it's hard to say what they can hear and understand.

-Jen

I don't know about that, I caught Aesop copying down the encyclopedia britannica the other day...

I use paint chip samples from Home Depot. Flashing different colors in different patterns for different durations seems to do the trick. Using these the Cham is able to tell me what type of feeder it wants for food instead if me having to deal with the typical stubborn Cham not eating.
@OldChamKeeper can you elaborate? That sounds awesome! Do you associate certain colors with certain feeders so they get to the point where you show them the colors prior to feeding and they choose from a color menu? Thats insane! Do you pic colors that are similar to the feeders?

@jupiter His hands are adapted to hold pencils, I bet he's ambidextrous too :D

@curtis Did he have eye contact the first time you said no? could he see you?

Yeah As soon as I said no both his eyes were on me. like what i didn't do anything kind of look. At the time I had cage door open and I was about 5 feet away in a chair. When I told him no.

So what is the consensus about them watching TV. Do they see in color? I have one Chameleon who lines himself up with the TV and appears to be interested in the picture..Its usually on Tru TV, so maybe he's studying for his law degree..I have met some attorneys who are real snakes ( just joking guys/gals) so maybe he's on to something!

Well I haven't notice tv watching yet. But I thought about that the other day to. I wonder if they see in color as well. Also what I there attention span?

I still can't wrap my mind around how they process what they see...two eyes, seeing two different things at the same time. my head hurts :(

@OldChamKeeper can you elaborate? That sounds awesome! Do you associate certain colors with certain feeders so they get to the point where you show them the colors prior to feeding and they choose from a color menu? Thats insane! Do you pic colors that are similar to the feeders?

@jupiter His hands are adapted to hold pencils, I bet he's ambidextrous too :D

@curtis Did he have eye contact the first time you said no? could he see you?

I think is pulling our leg!!!!!;)

Back
Top Bottom