Cham behavior

So, whenever I open up my veiled chameleon's cage & stick my hand in it, he likes to run up & lick my fingers, I'm a little curious about how common this is, thoughts?

I don't have an answer, but since a lot of people say their veileds are very aggressive, I would just be happy with him.:)

Blimey!!

You lucky thing!

My male Veiled - despite me treating him like King Charlie - having an enclosure that resembles Buckingham Palace for chameleons - having a variety of different feeders every week - thinks that I am the anti-christ and will got for me as soon as I get anywhere near him!

Still love him though - p*ssy lizard that he is!!!:p:p:p

I'm in the same boat. My veiled does not appreciate me intruding his territory at all. He lunges, hisses and puffs up. I still love him but I don't think its mutual. Amazing creatures.

Ooohhhhh, that explains it. He hasn't learned to hate you yet. Don't worry, you'll get there. :D

Sorry I have to agree, I’ve read that Veil’s are one the more unfriendly of the Chameleons. My little guy was so chill when I first got him, as he grows he is becoming more feisty and territorial. Keep up what you are doing and he may never be grumpy like mine.

Ooohhhhh, that explains it. He hasn't learned to hate you yet. Don't worry, you'll get there. :D

Sorry I have to agree, I’ve read that Veil’s are one the more unfriendly of the Chameleons. My little guy was so chill when I first got him, as he grows he is becoming more feisty and territorial. Keep up what you are doing and he may never be grumpy like mine.

hahaha!! You guys sound so pessimistic! I like it! In a serious note though, I had the same behavior when I had my female veiled. She was sweet and would just climb on my hand any time. Now shes a b*tch! x) I still care deeply for her though :)

My male on the other hand is just territorial and does not like being touched but neither of them run away on the sight of me. I try to hold their bowls and have them eat from it and when I have time hand feeding is a great tool! My male has become way more calmer now than when I first got him though. I just try to be as close to his enclosure as I can. Spend time with him and make him more familiar with me. It seems to be working!

Well, you never know, still a pretty neat creature though.

They have their own personalities that is for sure. Lucky you, I never got licked by my chams. Well one time my female missed her aim and caught my finger.. Does that count?

My First Veil I bought. I saved up 250.00 yes that is not a typo. It was back in the late 90s was not uncommon for a adult. AT the pet shop he was so tame and came right out of the cage to me. I had made him a huge cage and he turned into a demon Veil. lol

Last edited:
My First Veil I bought. I saved up 250.00 yes that is not a typo. It was back in the late 90s was not uncommon for a adult. AT the pet shop he was so tame and came right out of the cage to me. I had made him a huge cage and he turned into a demon Veil. lol

WOW! Thats a price! Yeah I guess they go through their rebellious phase :p

There he is.

Attachments

• 10859896_10202859983252137_263217608_n.jpg
    10859896_10202859983252137_263217608_n.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 119
My store-raised cham was never friendly. But he got very sick at one point, and after being handled so much and then being taken outside for real sunlight and climbing around my small Japanese maples in the summer, he still complains but it's more a formality. I still have to go in on his blind side, but once grabbed, he lets me take him out.

Of course, one time when I was putting him back into his enclosure, he stared me straight in the face and "booped" the tip of my nose with his tongue, then climbed away.

My store-raised cham was never friendly. But he got very sick at one point, and after being handled so much and then being taken outside for real sunlight and climbing around my small Japanese maples in the summer, he still complains but it's more a formality. I still have to go in on his blind side, but once grabbed, he lets me take him out.

Of course, one time when I was putting him back into his enclosure, he stared me straight in the face and "booped" the tip of my nose with his tongue, then climbed away.

What do you mean by grabbing him? Can you elaborate please....

Back
Top Bottom