chain harness chameleons

I remember as a kid ordering a "chameleon" from the back of Boy's Life magazine. What I got in the mail was a green anole, "American Chameleon".

As others mentioned, it came in a little box with a red thread and safety pin, so it could be kept with me - but it also came with insufficient information on how to keep anoles alive.

It was my first reptile.

~Bruce

Buying Chameleons at the Fair

Oh gosh, I remember very well buying those sweet little guys at the fair each year. Our family would go to the Orange County Fair each year. I was so excited each trip for my father would always buy me a chameleon just as we entered the fair near the ticket booth. There was always a man set up with all his chameleons displayed on a cork board and ready to go! Each one had a little leash on with a tiny chain that attached to the chameleon's foot & the other end had a small safety pin to secure it to your collar. All day long you had this darling little friend right on your shoulder. It was very fun to see all the other people wearing their chameleons as they passed by. My chameleons always found a good home with me and I was very attentive to feeding him flies and such. He lived in a terrarium covered with mesh & I often would spray the plants inside to water him. Although hey never seemed to live long ..... each year I so awaited the country fair to begin so I could get a new chameleon. Sorry that I dont have any photos but it sure was the highlight of my summers!

No chain needed

Mine sits on my shoulder without a chain. I cannot imagine how he would react to such an insult.
I had one of those Anole American Chams as a kid and fed it meal worms. Never did like the string when I got it and took it off as soon as I got home.

Back
Top Bottom