CH deremensis (Motion Photography)

merumontanus

Avid Member
Here's a short sequence of a young, captive-hatched, female deremensis feeding. Consider it a teaser for a longer montage on the captive group...

(Thought this would be better than a photo, Eric)

Feeding deremensis

Note: The video is presented in HD, so if you encounter a problem playing it on a slower connection, simply pause it and let it load before playing it again.

Gotta love the weird behaviors. The shaking before the shooting. Sometimes, they'll sit with the chewed prey in their mouths for 5 or more minutes.

great video. My father has a HD camera, and some of the video he's made with it is spectacular. He found out that his laptop even had a bluray burner (didn't know it when he bought it) - too bad they're so expensive. He's using that blueray on DVD format (whihc burnes it on DVD, but it plays in HD on a blueray player).

I was hoping to steal it from him for a while for some videos.

Beautiful video! Thanks for not only filming it, but sharing it! The deremensis are such a neat species; I'd almost forgotten about the hesitant feeding behavior.

When mine got older, they were less hesitant, but they had the same behavior. They'd rock their heads back and forth - sometimes quickly, as if vibrating it, sometimes slowly. They'd go after food as fast as any other species, but they still do the head shaking.

Every WC deremensis I ever got in was simply the happiest, friendliest chameleon ever. I was pulling them out of the bag, holding them, and feeding them from hand (while holding them), within 5 seconds of opening the bag. Every time I tried it, they ate.

I also found them to have the most ridiculously long tongue for their size - and they have a good size too.

One WC female that was a total length of approx 13" had a tongue reach of 18-20". She was sitting in her tree in my little free-roam setup, and I was putting superworms into a bowl on the floor. As I was putting them in, she started to eat them. She stood still (as they ususlly do) and I took out the measuring tape. From the exact spot in the bowl to where her mouth was was 20". She may have been a bit lower when she shot, but not more than 2".

They have short tails, so the total length is a bit different than other species. But still, my melleri have only a slightly longer reach - and they're 20" or more.

Fabian that is a killer video. I loved it. I always enjoy watching my chams eat but rarely get that close a view. Thanks.:D

Thanks, Suzanne, Kent! The feeding behavior of deremensis is definitely one of the most intriguing and attractive features of this species, and makes keeping the "sloth of the chameleon world" that much more interesting. Eric once called them the parsonii of the Trioceros-- and I couldn't agree more!

The girl in the video is one of the smallest of the group, all of which are now almost 9 months old. It's amazing how much they eat and how much slower their rate of growth is compared to even other montanes such as my jacksonii.

Eric, did you notice this kind of growth with the one you raised? Clutches must vary in growth rate, just like melleri, but I wonder if I should increase my feeding on these guys even though I feel they are already eating too much.

More videos coming soon...

Fabián

P.S. Bluray... such great quality but so expensive to produce. It hasn't become established in the market yet, and I already give it a viability period of 5 years at most. The future lies in online delivery. Mark my words!

Fabian that is a killer video. I loved it. I always enjoy watching my chams eat but rarely get that close a view. Thanks.:D

Thanks, Laurie! Chris Anderson shot some high-speed sequences of calyptratus and Rhampholeon feeding, and I think he might have posted a link on the forum, if you are interested in additional videos of chameleon feeding behavior. Otherwise, expect another one involving neonate jacksonii soon!

Cheers,

Fabián

Fabián, I always enjoy your photos and videos:) You truly capture the beauty of all your subjects. I really like the music you chose for the video also. It looks like you are doing a great job at raising the little boogers. Keep up the GREAT work!!

Here's a short sequence of a young, captive-hatched, female deremensis feeding. Consider it a teaser for a longer montage on the captive group...

(Thought this would be better than a photo, Eric)

Feeding deremensis

Note: The video is presented in HD, so if you encounter a problem playing it on a slower connection, simply pause it and let it load before playing it again.

Great video and I love the HD quality. She looks great. Deremensis females seem to have a voracious appetite.

Eric once called them the parsonii of the Trioceros-- and I couldn't agree more!

Yeah, i'd never really thought of the comparison before but that's very, very true. I can't remember where I read it, but, weren't melleri supposedly so genetically different from anything else around today, that deremensis would be the largest of the Trioceros group? At least the ones with more than a single annulated horn.... :D How they're so content to live their lives on a single branch....

Awesome vid! Don't you love the freak out colours and spotting they get when they're chowing down? At risk of anthropomorphizing it's like the chameleon version of "the shivers". Has anyone witnessed impressive colours and spotting during chameleon coitus? :eek:

Note to all: sometimes my 9 year old (Furious Porridge's (my name)/Curious George(her name) mom) posts on here so if her advice is wacky please give her a break. :rolleyes:

I think my CB male was 5-6 months old at the time - that's what they told me. He had zero horn growth when I got him. After a month or so, they started to bud out. Took about 15-18 months for him to be fully grown, from the time I got him. How old were your males when the horns FIRST started to grow?

Similar growth rate to melleri - with respect to their final size. They both seem to take about 2 years to mature.

I have found their behavior to be similar, in some ways. Certainly, deremensis have more in common with melleri than any other species I've delbt with. Their actual lifestyle is similar to parsonii. The things just sit there sometimes. Aside from Parson's, deremensis have the most photosensitive skin I've seen. They have similar patterns on their sides (yellow spot on the side, sometimes), they're slow, dont' care too much for the sun.

Bluray I think will be accepted in short time. While digital transfers are superior in every way, technically, there is one thing they lack: a tangible product.

People like owning movies. If they spend money, they prefer to have something they can hold in their hands, something that's durable and non-volatile.

Digital media sitting on flash memory or a magnetic drive works better than an optical drive, but it's just data - software. A disc is hard software.

Movie collectors like having a library of movies they own, and Bluray provides that.

High capacity HD's with media center software is really the next big thing, but people will like to have their discs as backup. I would.

The price of blank discs will be dropping soon. When I started at circuit city in 2000, the first DVD blanks were about $10.00 each. When I left, they were about $1.00 each online.

For non feature-length videos, just burn HD video on a DVD in AVCREC format (I think that's right)?

My father uses it to burn HD video, in Bluray format, onto plain DVD-/+R's.
It only holds 20 minutes or so of video, but most of his movies are less than that.

This is like as epic as the Planet Earth series. HD makes nature feel so vibrant!

I am watching your other videos now. I love them.

Another feeding sequence...

I shot another feeding sequence of the captive-hatched deremensis today, so I decided to add it to this thread to maintain consistency.

http://www.vimeo.com/4835520

In the video, you will see a shot of a male, and then a smaller female-- she's the only one who was brave enough to eat despite the sudden move outside for the shoot.

Excuse the soft focus on a few of the shots-- it was difficult to focus while trying to keep the crickets on the plant.

Cheers!

Fabián

Really great video! I was able to get a male from a small reptile show which was wild caught unfortunately he only lasted two weeks after that i said the only way i would try this species is if i could get c.b. specimens they are expensive but well worth it. great work Fabian look forward to more!:)

Too cool! What a beautiful girl! Thanks for posting it up for us all to enjoy. Oh yeah... Very nice work with the footage... The music is PERFECT!

Back
Top Bottom