ceramic heater

lrg83caleb

I am having heat problems. I got my cham home 3 days ago and he has been dark brown the entire time except for when he is sleeping. Here is the situation:

Chameleon: Panther
Cage: 18x18x36
Temperature: 70
Basking: 90

I'm thinking one- that he could still be stressed from the move and two- that the temperature is just too low. I have been looking into ceramic heaters to help raise the temperature of his cage. With out knowing how much heat the wattage translates into, which size should I get. 60w, 100w, 150w...? A space heater is not a good option because he is up in our loft and there really isn't a better low traffic location to keep him in.

Last edited:
Cage Type -
* Lighting -
* Plants -
* Location -

Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon -
* Handling -
* Feeding -
* Supplements -
* Watering -
* Fecal Description -
* History -
* Current Problem -

Cage Type - 18x18x36 screen enclosure
* Lighting - reptisun 5.0 linear, 60w incandesent
* Plants - ficus
* Location - upstairs loft (no traffic)

Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon - panther
* Handling - never
* Feeding - Today: 5 crickets, one horned worm and one molted super worm
* Supplements - on a cycle of a few different types( herpivite, minerall, and a couple others)
* Watering - habbamist every 3 hours. I mist him morning, noon and night for a few minutes each time with hot water. I have never seen him drink though
* Fecal Description - White, no yellow.
* History - Novice?
* Current Problem - Brown coloration, could be stress or lack of heat?

The temps of 70-90 sound fine to me, a little hotter in the basking area than I tend to have mine at. Are you sure it is a male? Females area sometimes brown. Young males can also be dull, until they grow into their big-boy colours. Could be a little stressed.
Post a picture, might help.

If those are your daytime temps, I think your fine. If you are getting below low mid 60's at night, then you might want to use a ceramic heater. getting a 60w should be fine. If he/she is cold he/she will find the heat. Don't buy a red heat lamp for nighttime.... It will keep you cham awake and effect his/her sleeping cycle and stress him or her.

Give your cham some time. If you could show us some pics, that help us out a bit.

Here is a picture. That white thing behind him is poo. He was down at the bottom trying to get away from me.

Attachments

• brownpanther 001.jpg
    brownpanther 001.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 88
Back
Top Bottom