Ceramic heat bulb- not for my cham😂

Erica1884

Avid Member
This is not for my cham! But I just got a bearded dragon for my daughter and I need to heat his cage (mainly since my house is in MA and better suited for a cham with the temp drops lol) . My question is can I use the bulb in a regular hood that I would a basking bulb? Or does it require a special fixture? Don’t want to burn my house down! Tia

This is not for my cham! But I just got a bearded dragon for my daughter and I need to heat his cage (mainly since my house is in MA and better suited for a cham with the temp drops lol) . My question is can I use the bulb in a regular hood that I would a basking bulb? Or does it require a special fixture? Don’t want to burn my house down! Tia
If it's a basking bulb use a normal fixture w ceramic.

If you are going to use a CHE bulb so you can use it at night, you'll want a wire fixture. 😁

Make sure the fixture can handle the wattage

If it's a basking bulb use a normal fixture w ceramic.

If you are going to use a CHE bulb so you can use it at night, you'll want a wire fixture. 😁

Make sure the fixture can handle the wattage
Thank you so much! It’s a CHE bulb in a normal fixture. I found the package to the fixture it said CHE are okay in it. It’s a 60watt and the fixture can accommodate 150watt.

Its just a safety device really
On off for heat matts
Pulse for che
Dimming for incandescent or halogen bulbs
Oh okay! I unplugged it lol. I had a house fire 3 years agoWill stick with the heating pad under the tank for him lol. His overnight temp the last few nights was around 65-67. From what I read under 65 would be an issue... geez I have Chams down to a science but the Beardie is throwing me all off😂

Oh okay! I unplugged it lol. I had a house fire 3 years agoWill stick with the heating pad under the tank for him lol. His overnight temp the last few nights was around 65-67. From what I read under 65 would be an issue... geez I have Chams down to a science but the Beardie is throwing me all off😂
Idk if a heating pad under the tank would be hot enough for them. I use a heating pad for my snake, and the temps don't get nearly as warm as you would need for a beardie.

Do you have a temp gun to measure the temps?

Idk if a heating pad under the tank would be hot enough for them. I use a heating pad for my snake, and the temps don't get nearly as warm as you would need for a beardie.

Do you have a temp gun to measure the temps?
Yes. I have a temp gun and a govee combo in the tank. I should have clarified I am talking night time temps. Still learning about Beardies for sure right now 10 pm his tank is reading 73. From what I read night time for Beardies shouldn’t go below 65. I have been trying to find a really good fact sheet for Beardies but am finding a ton of contradicting info! We’ve only had him for about a week and the daytime temps are much much higher with the basking bulb and two heating pads under the tank. I am definitely still learning with Beardies so any information would be helpful!

Yes. I have a temp gun and a govee combo in the tank. I should have clarified I am talking night time temps. Still learning about Beardies for sure right now 10 pm his tank is reading 73. From what I read night time for Beardies shouldn’t go below 65. I have been trying to find a really good fact sheet for Beardies but am finding a ton of contradicting info! We’ve only had him for about a week and the daytime temps are much much higher with the basking bulb and two heating pads under the tank. I am definitely still learning with Beardies so any information would be helpful!
Ohhh. This is for night time tempi. 😅 I was thinking you were using the pad for the daytime temp.
I think @AmandaS has beardies, she may be able to help you out! 😁

I use a double dome light fixture (one side I have a lightbulb and the other a CHE), plugged into a pulse thermostat. That way it stays in decent temps without me having to worry about it. I'll try to link the thermostat I use....
I heard that heat pads arent any good for beardies, so I have never used them.

I love this thermostat because it takes out all the guess work. It measures and controls the heat, humidity, and has a timer for lights.
https://www.amazon.com/REPTI-ZOO-Wa...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Thank you both!!! I have the heating pads on the outside of the tank on the bottom. So the regular light fixtures can accommodate che bulbs? Thank you for the link! Can you clarify what exactly a pulse thermostat is? Does it connect to the lighting fixture? I will look into it more after work! Super appreciate the help! @AmandaS do you think 67 is too low for a Beardie nighttime temp? Thanks!!

Yes. The best bulbs for basking are the same as for a chameleon.
In order of preference:
  1. Household incandescent
  2. Incandescent flood (NOT spot)
  3. Halogen flood (NOT spot)
No special fixture is required; many use the same clamp light domes as for chameleons.
1615473562116.png
Just double-check the wattage rating on the fixture—should be no problem.

You do not need nighttime heat (CHE) unless your household temp regularly drops below 65F/18C.
Dropping to 60F is OK on an occasional basis, but if it becomes regular, the beardie may go into brumation.

Beardies make fantastic pets! In general, much more sociable, handleable, hardy, and long-lived than chameleons (exceptions noted). There's a thread here:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/beardies.174985/

https://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/index.php

Back
Top Bottom