Cause of Death

IMN3W

I was wondering if anyone might have an idea of what might have happend. I came home to find my 4 month old veiled hanging by his tail dead. Up to this point everything was perfect. He was drinking everytime I misted ( 4 times a day 7 min incriments, eating every day 4-6 crickets. I was wondering if it is possible for them to choke on food if it is to large. The crickets I was feeding were smalls, But I noticed a few larger ones mixed in. I didnt think it would be a problem since they were still no larger than his head. If anyone might have an answer it would be appreciated. I am perplexed by what happend and sadend that it did.

We need more information on his housing, lighting, diet (also what supplements you used), and then we might be able to single out the problem.

Apart with what Nicodemayo said, If you have any pictures of the set up when it was still in use they would be helpful as well (so we can see what you are talking about!)

Sorry about your loss. Its always hard to lose a beloved pet. :(

Choking accidents do happen, even to the most experienced breeders. I ordered a male veiled from Kammerflage and Liddy e-mailed and said she was sorry, but he choked to death. She said it doesn't happen often, but if it can happen to someone that's been breeding chams for 28 years...

I'm not saying that's what happened to yours, but it is possible.

2637d1198001593-new-veiled-setup-stuff-620.jpg

65 gallon reptarium 75 watt basking bulb repti-glo 5.0 uv. 4-6 crickets repi-cal with d3 every third day

Was giving the feeders lots of gutload products(vitamins etc). Never seen supplements for chameleon round here without d3. Going to a new shop tomorrow to look around they might have some. As far as misting. Yes misting 4 times a day for 7 minutes at a time to stimulate his drinking. By the way he was a veiled

Sorry for your loss. The fact is that anything that lays many eggs has a high juvenile death rate. You may never know what happened.

D3 poisoning? Never heard of it... How does this happen. I am going to get another cham and want to try and avoid anything that might have led up to this unforseen death!

D3 is like cyanide in large amounts.
that is why you need to supplement with calcium with and without D3.
You alos need a multivitamin like herptivite.

I'm sorry to hear of your loss.

The ONLY thing that will give you a proper answer for why he died is by having a necropsy done by a professional. Everything else is just off beat guesses.

T

i highly suggest necropsy, too.
If your chameleon died mysteriously, it will do you good to get a hold of vet to do this for you and hopefully answer what exactly is wrong.
It'll be great for you to share the result in this forum, too.

Not to be heartless, but if you were able to do a necropsy (like our autopsy) you could see if there is an insect stuck in the throat or occluding the airway. You'd also be able to look at the intestines to see if something got stuck or if there were parasites or worms in the intestines.

If the animal is dead, this is often the first thing to do to see if it was something obvious or of an infectious nature.

It sounds to me like you did everything right :( Sorry for your loss

You may have to go to several stores to find calcium without d-3 in it, just so you know! I'm still going store to store to find it :)

My wife works at a local pet store and is going to take the veiled in to see if they will do the necropsy. I will post their findings as soon as I receive them. Once again thanks for all the help in trying to figure out what might have happend. This was my first chameleon and will by no means be my last. Like i said before I want to try and not make a mistake in the well being of the life of any animal. So that is why I am looking for what might have caused this to see if I am to blame. P.S. his name was Claude, there were a couple pics in another post of mine earlier.

Back
Top Bottom