Cats

Hytgh5

Hey everyone! So I have 2 cats at home and I’m I’ll be getting a cham soon, enclosure is in the living room where they roam at times. They don’t care about the cage at all but I’m afraid he might stress from seeing them. what should I do

I have a rescue cat a mutt (not inbred pure breed), so she is very smart and keen to different scent & movement, she often finds spiders and flys to chase and play with, whenever I take my cricket cage out of my locked door chameleon room to my garage she scratches at the garage door to investigate the NEW SCENT... of the crickets...... I hope that helps.....

Last edited:
ive heard horror stories and perfect stories about cats, it would all have to be based on the cats personality and how they do with other living things... long story short, I wouldn't, cats are natural born hunters so I would move the cage.

May I ask what are the temperament of your cats?are they pretty jumpy??
If so I will definitely keep the cage away from them..if they are peaceful then it will depend on the chameleon u getting since some of the chams are very easy to get spook...they all have different type of the personality like us human.

May I ask what are the temperament of your cats?are they pretty jumpy??
If so I will definitely keep the cage away from them..if they are peaceful then it will depend on the chameleon u getting since some of the chams are very easy to get spook...they all have different type of the personality like us human.
Well one of them is super lazy and pretty fat and usually just sleeps all day. And the other isn’t really jumpy or hyper but she is more active than the fat one. I do see her laying by a window next to the cage though so that’s why I’m wondering if she lays there ans the Cham sees her he might freak or something

I have 2 dogs and a cat. I do not let them in my chams room without me. And if they're in his room it's for a second to get to the other room (don't ask weird house layout) anyways they don't pay attention to my cham but my cham is not a fan of being in the same room with four legged hairy beasts let alone a 2 legged one

Well one of them is super lazy and pretty fat and usually just sleeps all day. And the other isn’t really jumpy or hyper but she is more active than the fat one. I do see her laying by a window next to the cage though so that’s why I’m wondering if she lays there ans the Cham sees her he might freak or something
Im glad u explained ur situation...in that case if that was my cage,I would either a) put some vision block material around your chameleon cage if thats not too troublesome with u or b) find another isolated location in your house or even raise the cage height to where the other active cat can not reach or lay beside around the cage.

Im glad u explained ur situation...in that case if that was my cage,I would either a) put some vision block material around your chameleon cage if thats not too troublesome with u or b) find another isolated location in your house or even raise the cage height to where the other active cat can not reach or lay beside around the cage.
Okay awesome I’ll probably do both, I’m getting a taller stand tomorrow for the drainage and I’ll probably put something on o block the vision too. But what should I put ? Or what do people use i guess

My cat is very low key and lazy. Old and chubby and doesnt really jump. Super gentle.... but he is very interested in the chameleon and dont trust him for a second.

One of my chams isnt phased by the cat and would probably waltz right over him. My other cham is very aware and cautious when rhe dog or cat is nearby. I wouldn’t say she is stressed but she is aware.

I noticed our chameleon react to both our dog and the cat. Both are totally harmless and neither can get to him, but he sure notices them. Turns neon green and moves up. That should tell you all you need to know. Keep the two apart.

Our dog never crossed the threshold into the lounge but Bob was still very sketchy at the sight of him which, whatever way you look at it, isn't good as it causes stress.

We lost the dog late last year due to old age and the difference in Bob is massive. He knows he's not there now and even occasionally walks on the floor from his free range over to me which he would never have done before.

My point is, it's not what the cats may or may not do, it's the threat the cham thinks it's under and the stress caused.

Separate rooms with zero feline access has to be the safest bet.

My chameleons would react to the site of cats as well, along with many other things, but they didn't see them often. Over time, my one chameleon stopped caring if the cat was around. Assuming the cat can't get to the cham, I'd bet after a while they could get used to it. I see humans kill a lot more chameleons than cats, and they get used to us staring at them, moving them, and working in their homes just fine.

Last edited:
The horror stories I've read on this site, other sites, and heard on podcasts about cats clawing their way through screen cages to get to reptile pets is pretty scary enough for me. I don't personally have a cat right now, but when I think about potentially getting one, I would most definitely keep the cat and chameleon completely separate always. Even if a cat didn't successfully get to your chameleon, or didn't even attack a cage to begin with, it could potentially stress a chameleon out depending on all kinds of factors --- even down to the furniture in that room and if the cat can sit higher than the chameleon and quite literally stalk your cham with those cat eyes, haha. I might sound dramatic, but in all of my research and experience they just don't seem to be animals that mix well together and I would keep them in separate, closed off spaces.

Back
Top Bottom