Cats!! The pet a chameleon owner shouldnt have or.....

jaglon53

I recently(3 months ago) got talked into getting a kitten by my daughter and wife. I was totally opposed to it 1. I dont like cats 2. I was dreading the thought of the cat climbing the screen cages of my chameleons. Of course I didnt raise that issue to the reason why I didnt want the cat cause then my other BS excuses of me being allergic and other lies I could think of would be null and void. Well thought I was making some head way with not getting the cat then my wifes sister calls and said she had kittens it just so happened the cats where born on my daughters Bday. So then I knew my fate was sealed I was getting a cat!!! The first week or so the cat was into everything even got over the baricade I built so the cat couldnt get into the cham room. Then while watching the show MY CAT FROM HELL I found my new best friend an compressed air dispenser with a motion senser. I set it up on the steps leading up to my cham room/office which is a loft and after three or four scares the cat does not go upstairs ANYMORE. TG!!! Just thought this might help if anyone has cats and they dont know what to do.
THANKS

haha, i wish you had a video of the air getting the cat...i have 3 cats in my house (it was 4 until a week or so ago when a roommate moved out) but luckily my chams have their own room and the door stays closed...glad you found a solution, good luck with the cat haha

I've got a Bengal cat and if he gets to close to the viv I shout NO that works a treat, but when I handle the chameleon he just looks at a distance they should get used to each other when you handle him more often in front of the cat, just be cautious train your new cat some boundaries they do learn quick.

We had to get rid of our cats. The chams were part of the reason but the cats were so destructive and a constant pain in the you know where that I just didn't know what to do with them. (Been a cat owner all my life - never had problems with any of them like I did with these.)

The home is so much more peaceful. No more closed doors. The chams are safe and our melleri happily free range in the living room!

You are fortunate that you have a room for the chams and found a solution.

My kat is about 4 now and does just fine with my chams. He don't even care about them as my crix and roachs have his attenion more then anything. I also have a spray bottle near by so if I want him to leave he leaves REAL QUICK. Lol

I have been thinking of getting another cat for some time now, but I was more concerned that one of my Burms would eat it. I've talked to a few people with large constrictors and cats, and they've assured me there's no real issue. So... I decided to adopt a cat from a friend after she heals from her spay surgery.

After reading this, I want to reneg on the decision. My Pygs are in enclosures, of course; but I have plans to free range the Panthers and eventually, a Melleri. And I hate the idea of closed doors.

ugh.

Oh gosh, my brother in law lives with us and he has a cat... He's a good cat and most of the time you wouldn't even know there was a cat in the apartment but boy does he love to pester my Crested Geckos. My babies start coming out to wander their enclosure toward the evening and Shadow (the cat) just sits on our bed and waits. Once they are out he'll jump on the screen top and push the screen in. :eek: Once he even got a hold of my male Crestie and scratched him up a bit, just lucky he's not the killer type just likes to play with moving "toys". He was doing this quite a bit when he first discovered them but we keep our bedroom door shut now.

He also use to love being around the Chams, sit on the table they were on, and occasionally claw at the cages. There are claw marks on them too... I got a 55 gallon wrought (?) iron stand and put the 2 cages on top of that. :D The cages hang off of the sides so no more space for the cat to sit on and no more bothering the Chams.

Sorry about the rant. :D

I found that most of our chams were uncomfortable if they could even see the cats. Probably did not help that the cats crashed through the screen on three different cages ...

We had to keep too many doors closed and keep the cats confined way too much. It was not a good situation for any of us.

My cats were afraid of my first veiled. I had him out and the cats came over to see and BAM! Chameleon had a mouth full of fur. It scared the crap out of the cats so they never bothered him.

Back
Top Bottom