Cats & Chameleons?

PhxKarma

I am currently building a veiled enclosure, and I am wondering what I can do to make it cat proof? I am not sure if they will try to climb the cage or not.

Oh that an easy question

Get rid of it, a cat will stress out the chameleon. How would you like a lion walking around your house:p

They will, absolutely! Make it strong frame, strong mesh, untippable and Keep the cat out of the room at all times where possible!
Your moggy will stress your lizard. Predator and prey dont mix as a rule, despite the folk who claim their lizard loves their cat. :)

I have six cats and they don't try to climb my cages. What seems to work with my cats is to spray them with water every time there near the cage. What cats hate evn worse is canned air, the stuff you clean keyboards or stuff covered in dust. They hate the sound so much lol

bag_burlap-large.jpg

the-great-river-is-spectacular.jpg

OK OK bad joke, needless to say I'm not a cat fan.

If this is a real concern for you build your cage with Super Screen
And of course what everyone else has said is solid advice. I have expandable barriers to block the entrance to my living room from my cat. I kick the dogs out sometimes too. But in my case the three chams I have in here don't seem to care about any of the animals.

I have six cats and they don't try to climb my cages. What seems to work with my cats is to spray them with water every time there near the cage. What cats hate evn worse is canned air, the stuff you clean keyboards or stuff covered in dust. They hate the sound so much lol

This. also have the cage about 4 ft off the floor if you can manage it.
Every time they show interest in the chameleon, you spray them with water. I additionally smack their butt hard with my hand, especially if they find a way to get up near the cage. When not home, I monitor via camera and remotely set off a loud noise if I catch them near the cage. This may take a month or two, eventually they get the point.

But do not spray them with the canned air, it can kill them by depriving them of air, or give them frostbite.

This. also have the cage about 4 ft off the floor if you can manage it.
Every time they show interest in the chameleon, you spray them with water. I additionally smack their butt hard with my hand, especially if they find a way to get up near the cage. When not home, I monitor via camera and remotely set off a loud noise if I catch them near the cage. This may take a month or two, eventually they get the point.

But do not spray them with the canned air, it can kill them by depriving them of air, or give them frostbite.

your right lol, you do not spray them with it you just spray it they hate the sound is what i mean. cats hate loud noises

My cat is scared of Amy, my cham, lol! She was scared of Lily too. She looks up at the cage when she walks past - she knows there's something in there but she is never brave enough to get very close. She's just a big jelly really, bless her! :D

Edit: Pure - those pics did make me laugh though! Cats are like marmite - you either love 'em or hate 'em, lol!

Last edited:
Tiff I was actually wondering if any one would get the reference. I asked a youngster and she had no clue what it meant..I feel old now.

well my cats dont think anything of the cage their mostly outside the house anyway and they also show no interest in climbing on the cage since its almost 5 ft off the ground. One of my cats is too fat to do anything :p

We have 2 siamese cats and they are definately not allowed in the cham room... What so ever!!

My two cats don't pay any attention to the chams.

But my old roommate had a kitten that was rambunctious as heck... He would climb curtains!

One day I came home to find the screen on the top of the cage had popped out and the lights where hanging down inside the cage! Apparently the cat tried to scale the cage and the screen came loose when he got to the top. I have no idea if he fell IN the cage or not.

My first thought after "WTF??" was where is my chameleon!?!?!

I found Daigan on the window sill looking out into the yard. I was so angry, but relieved that he was ok.

From that time till she moved out, She kept the cat in her room when she wasn't home

lol easiest thing is dont have cats and chams in the same area, and if it is not your cat just get some of those poppers and anytime you see it pop one, after a couple days it will never come back :) yes my neighbors have 3 outdoor cats. Never have to worry about them anymore!

bag_burlap-large.jpg

the-great-river-is-spectacular.jpg

OK OK bad joke, needless to say I'm not a cat fan.

If this is a real concern for you build your cage with Super Screen
And of course what everyone else has said is solid advice. I have expandable barriers to block the entrance to my living room from my cat. I kick the dogs out sometimes too. But in my case the three chams I have in here don't seem to care about any of the animals.

Ok, I haven't laughed as hard in a while before reading this. - it might be a terrible/inhumane idea, but it was still funny how it was posted - thanks Pure:D

I'll attest to cats and chams not mixing. I got my rudis pair on Saturday night, and I didn't even have them long enough to intro them to the group. Monday morning they were gone -- eaten by cats. One of the cats must have knocked the "light hood" thing (whatever it's called), and it fell through the mesh top, then through the front of the enclosure at an angle, tearing the mesh. There was no way the cats could have gotten in, but I guess the frightened chams ran out. I was sick when I woke up to see that. I can't blame the cats, because they're just doing what cats do. The same as chams eating their prey. Anyway, please be careful. Make sure your enclosure is catproof. I only had my two for a couple of days, and I miss them so much. I hope someone can learn from what happened to me.

Back
Top Bottom