Carpet Chameleon Setup

leslie1

Hi there! I have a 1+ year old carpet chameleon I got from a reptile show. He was full grown when I got him, as far as I know. Unfortunately, I usually preach no impulse buying but failed in this case. I have other reptiles, but this was my first experience with a chameleon. He was in a converted 40-gallon breeder for the entire time up until a few days ago, when I set up his new bio-active terrarium--I have one twice the size for my anoles and I absolutely love it. This is the 18x18x36 skyscraper exo-terra. Inside is a schefflera, a fern, moss, and English ivy, as well as driftwood that I find. There are springtails, isopods, dubia roach babies, superworms, and crickets all roaming around as food and decomposers--he also gets wax worms as treats, and munches on phoenix worms and hornworms whenever I buy/breed them. My main question was if there are any changes I should make to the setup? I plan on going out for more driftwood soon to give him a bit more climbing space at the top, and probably trimming the schefflera down a bit. It supports his weight well, and he really seems to like it MUCH more than his last setup.

20190408_195747.jpg
20190408_223338.jpg
20190408_223346.jpg

Gorgeous little carpet you have there and awesome set up. Aside from filling the top portion of the enclsoure only few things id say are to maybe get some temperature gauges/gun to make sure his temps are correct. He does look quite dark in that photo of him basking which could mean your temps may be a tad bit low. Then again basking spot is quite far from the light source. You have your suppliment and misting schedule in order? I personaly would actually let the plants grow in oppose to trimming them, but thats prefernce i prefer a dense filled enclosure.

Your enclosure looks pretty great for the most part! My only comment would be to fill out the top 1/3 of the cage more, since your cham is going to want to be able to climb higher than he is currently able to

If you haven't looked at Frank Payne's caresheet for lateralis, I would recommend giving it a look-over. Lots of good pointers: https://frankpayne32.wixsite.com/livingart/care-sheets

Great start on the enclosure, and awesome looking little guy. Would let the Schefflera grow up(personal preference) and add some branches/vines and cover higher up so he can get closer to the basking area if he wants. Both of my carpets seem to spend quite a bit of time close to the heat. I spent a fair amount of time reading through the care sheet mentioned above as well. Lot's of valuable info...

Thanks guys! I'm trying to figure out a way to put sticks and branches going horizontally without having to use silicone, and I've had a lot of bad luck with suction cups so possibly magnets. I've ordered extra temp gauges, so those will be in soon to monitor his temperatures. The care sheet you guys have mentioned is awesome! I tried to do research when I got him, but that sheet didn't come up and a lot of the care was really vague/contradicting.

Misting schedule and supplements are in order. I hand mist, though I'm looking into the MistKing to save me time since I have this and a 36x18x36 to mist as well. But that won't be for a while since I have other projects to work on.

As for the Schefflera, I think I've changed my mind on trimming it. At first, it looked like it was swallowing him up, but he really seems to like being able to disappear for a while.

A thought I had (but haven’t tried), was to use small neodymium magnets. One, siliconed into the branch, the other on the outside of the glass. Should work well, especially with a smaller species.

I love neodymium magnets! I have a few of the Pangea feeder ledges that I use for worms and such (one in the chameleon habitat), and I'm looking to make magnetic plant pots so I can hang ivy and other vines from the upper parts of my terrariums.

Back
Top Bottom