Carnivores

Brentholey

Established Member
I just got these two carnivorous plants. I have been seeing fungus Gnats and a couple fruit flies buzzing around so I bought these from an online store. The pitcher is “nepenthes suki” and the little sundew is “drosera capensis” is there anybody that has experience with these plants that’s willing to offer any tips? I’ve already looked over some general nepenthes and drosera care sheets.
D2BD47DD-45F3-4662-8912-FE0FF4EBC369.jpeg
1FD70E79-6BD8-4299-B8B1-A67D48991988.jpeg

No real tips... they'll do fine. They're common in bioactive builds to control the bugs. I personally dont use them as I intentionally plant BSFL in my enclosure so that the flies hatch for target practice... and breed. I'm pretty particularly about my enclosures. I hand feed my chams for the most part so the only thing in their environment is what I put there.

Best wishes!

@Brentholey & @Reptofreak or anyone else who might find this help full. Even though I love carnivores plants, I got rid of my fungus gnats by using a PC fan on top of the cage to create air flow in the cage. I actually got this advice from a rep at the the Mistking booth at the Pomona show. I can’t remember his name but he told me that with Chams you will have humidity and that fine but add stagnant air and you will get fungus gnats. So I said I would give it a try and sure enough in about a little over a week I don’t have any more gnats. And even better then that the I my wife is happy that she doesn’t have to see them flying through the house :)

Use distilled water. Tap and bottled water will kill them due to the minerals in the water. Indirect light most of the day and keep the soil moist but not saturated. If the dew on the sundew is not visible it's either been eating well or something like lighting, water or humidity is lacking.

My pitcher plant is one of the bigger plants in my viv. It the highest planted plant in the viv so it catches a full 12hrs of direct light everyday from 3 6500k T5s and 1 UVB. The planter itself sits directly below a MistKing Rain nozzle so it catches tons of tap water everyday. This is the only pitcher I’ve ever had but I find them to be very resilient. My female insists on digging up most of this plant every time she lays before going into her actual lay bin and yet it still thrives. Awesome plants!
E1E2CC73-47D8-4C02-93C1-B57B0988E187.jpeg
631CD4C7-36C5-4C56-A4BD-0365BE332909.jpeg

My pitcher plant is one of the bigger plants in my viv. It the highest planted plant in the viv so it catches a full 12hrs of direct light everyday from 3 6500k T5s and 1 UVB. The planter itself sits directly below a MistKing Rain nozzle so it catches tons of tap water everyday. This is the only pitcher I’ve ever had but I find them to be very resilient. My female insists on digging up most of this plant every time she lays before going into her actual lay bin and yet it still thrives. Awesome plants! View attachment 245331View attachment 245332
Pitcher plants are nice. They are giant vials of fluid that add humidity to the enclosure and reduce pests.

Nice action shot. Neither of mine are interested in roaches yet. I also noticed that you use the fake branches too. I like them personally and usually will wrap a vine type plat around it. Especially for my female as she has trouble gripping. How often do you have to replace them? [You've been a cham keep way longer than I have lol].

@Brodybreaux25 do you know what type of pitcher plant you have? You use tap water? No RO or distilled? I’ve been wondering this because I don’t have an RO unit yet. I have been using distilled bottled water but I mist with tap water treated with repti-safe so I have been a little worried it might hurt them.

Pitcher plants are nice. They are giant vials of fluid that add humidity to the enclosure and reduce pests.

Nice action shot. Neither of mine are interested in roaches yet. I also noticed that you use the fake branches too. I like them personally and usually will wrap a vine type plat around it. Especially for my female as she has trouble gripping. How often do you have to replace them? [You've been a cham keep way longer than I have lol].
That’s the only one I’ve got, prob 8 months old. It’s probably about that time...

@Brodybreaux25 do you know what type of pitcher plant you have? You use tap water? No RO or distilled? I’ve been wondering this because I don’t have an RO unit yet. I have been using distilled bottled water but I mist with tap water treated with repti-safe so I have been a little worried it might hurt them.
Both of my vivs are tied into a fully automated water management system. My MistKing reservoir automatically refills itself because it’s tied directly into my house’s water pipes. So yes, straight tap water, not RO or Distilled. Momma will get a salt booger every once in a while but that’s about it.

Asian Pitcher Plant - Nepenthes - Carnivorous - Exotic - 6" Hanging Basket https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DN8O5V0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_z2bDDb0ZGP8RC
AC0F34F9-A478-4C85-AF25-02A1795883AB.png

I know I have to use distilled/ro/rain water for my Venus fly traps. My tap water was killling them.

Who knows what chemicals my city uses to treat the water. It tastes good, but wasn't good for my carnivores plants.

Back
Top Bottom