carnivore care... anyone use this before?

Dawniegirl

Anyone familiar with this product? It says on there to refrigerate for up to a week after opening. It seems as though it would take many many months or even a year of straight daily use to come close to using up the bag. That seems like such a waste of product. It has an egg product listed in the ingredients so I would assume that's why it would expire so quickly. Did I miss read the label by chance??? That would be nice if I did misread it! I'm gonna google it to see if I can get more off the internet because I got that package from the vet. Any suggestion for a good place to buy this product? TIA

I personaly like insectivor care better, or just make your own bug juice in a blender.

why do you need it?

Harry

I personaly like insectivor care better, or just make your own bug juice in a blender.

why do you need it?

Harry

Still trying to turn Diego around. It's been four long month of trying to figure out hat the heck is going on w/ him. He's has some eye issues, either on verge of getting or already has MBD according to the vet from his calcium phosphorous ratio of 1:1. I'm still hoping I turn this all around but his not eating & this is really my immediate concern right now. I wanna keep him strong & keep his calcium level up w/o causing too much stress on him. Hard thing to do. I'm really worried for him but hoping for the best.

If you need the homemade way to make food, make bug juice. Bug juice is easy and really good for your cham. Take a small blender add 4 oz of pedalite, 4 oz of ensure, some calcium, and a lot of well gut loaded feeders, I use crickets cause they blend best. Blend it until everything is liquid, strain it to get out legs and thinks that did not blend. Put it in a syringe and give it to your cham. i have kept extra in the frig for a max of 3 days. It makes more than you need but it doesn't blend well unless you have sufficient liquid.

I called the factory about carnivore care and they told me it would keep up to a year in the freezer, but they aren't supose to tell people that.:mad::mad:

Laurie thanks for the bug juice recipes! About how many cricket do you add to that mixture? Wish I had known that about the Carnivore... Wouldn't have wasted an entire bag. I guess they want you to keep buying and wasting their product. Thanks a bunch for the tips :)

I just ordered some stuff called reptaid from chameleons northwest. It seems to be highly regarded, I'm hoping it's not just snake oil...

I just ordered some stuff called reptaid from chameleons northwest. It seems to be highly regarded, I'm hoping it's not just snake oil...

I thank you for reminding me... after reading your reply I took mine out of the fridge & gave Diego a drop today. He finished his antibiotic Monday so I figured it wouldn't hurt to try a round of this for a week. Thanks again :)

I dusted some crickets in carnivore care and 1 hour later my threw them up.

Wow... throw them up!!! Crazy. I was surprise to see that the carnivore care only lasted a week after opening & had to be refrigerated. Refrigerated understandable but the 1 week expiration came fast & I barely used any. I wish I knew about freezing it as Laurie stated in her reply. Next time I will freeze it if I buy again but for now gonna try some of that bug juice.

The carnivore care and other critical care diets are full of vitamins, energy supplements, protein and nutrients in a very basic form to make them easy to digest (since they're used on animals in very poor condition). To make them so nutritious and easy to digest they can't add a lot of preservatives or fillers, and the vitamins etc. degrade rapidly so they don't last very long at all. It's not generally for a single person to use, usually a vet will buy it and just give small amounts to people who need them. Obviously this is not your case, but that's why it doesn't come in smaller packages.

As has been mentioned already, an insectivore formula would be much better because the carnivore care has VERY high protein levels, which are potentially detrimental for chams. Too much animal proteins for non-carnivores causes kidney damage and gout.

The carnivore care and other critical care diets are full of vitamins, energy supplements, protein and nutrients in a very basic form to make them easy to digest (since they're used on animals in very poor condition). To make them so nutritious and easy to digest they can't add a lot of preservatives or fillers, and the vitamins etc. degrade rapidly so they don't last very long at all. It's not generally for a single person to use, usually a vet will buy it and just give small amounts to people who need them. Obviously this is not your case, but that's why it doesn't come in smaller packages.

As has been mentioned already, an insectivore formula would be much better because the carnivore care has VERY high protein levels, which are potentially detrimental for chams. Too much animal proteins for non-carnivores causes kidney damage and gout.

Wow thanks for all that info... very helpful! Bug juice will be next step if needed (I keep hoping he'll just start eating) & then instead of the carnivore I will get the insectivore to have it on hand just in case of a worst case scenario. Thanks again ferretinmyshoes :)

With the bug juice, I toss in a lot of crickets as I want them to have crickets as well as the other stuff. As long as it will pass through a syringe you should be good.

Is the stuff you're talking about the ReptiAid critical care formula? The stuff I have is powdered and you add water. Maybe I should call for the shelf life?

My Vet has had Feldman on it for sometime now. He has his own instructions on the pouch. He said I could refrigerate mixed product for up to 24 hours and unmixed formula in the freezer until ready to use. F has actually been able to put on some weight with it.

My Vet has had Feldman on it for sometime now. He has his own instructions on the pouch. He said I could refrigerate mixed product for up to 24 hours and unmixed formula in the freezer until ready to use. F has actually been able to put on some weight with it.

I so wish I had known to freeze it :( You live you learn I guess. It's so stressful to get Diego to eat like that and I'm afraid it might do more harm then good sometimes but if needed there's no choice... I will if have to! I'm should be giving the liquid Calcium daily but sometimes we'll skip a day or two so he doesn't get over stressed. Today Diego wouldn't even put his front hands on my hand when I tried to get him out because he knew what was coming :( I hate this & hope he can turn around. Wanna be done stressing him out & be able to enjoy having him w/o so much worry.
Why has your guy been on it for a while?

I assume you using a feeding tube on a syringe?

My guy has had a couple of long term bouts with refusing to eat. After a couple of blood tests revealed very high blood sugar levels, the vet feels Feldman has pancreatitis and likely diabetes. He thinks his reluctance to eat could be brought about by irritation from eating. I administer several drugs too, as well as the Carnivore Care in a small amounts (1.5cc) daily via syringe tipped with a feeding needle in an attempt to ease the process of digestion, limit irritation and raise his insulin production.

I assume you using a feeding tube on a syringe?

My guy has had a couple of long term bouts with refusing to eat. After a couple of blood tests revealed very high blood sugar levels, the vet feels Feldman has pancreatitis and likely diabetes. He thinks his reluctance to eat could be brought about by irritation from eating. I administer several drugs too, as well as the Carnivore Care in a small amounts (1.5cc) daily via syringe tipped with a feeding needle in an attempt to ease the process of digestion, limit irritation and raise his insulin production.

Wow... I was given about that amount the same way along w/ antibiotic shots every 3 days. What other drugs are you giving? Does he get really stressed when you do it? Poor Diego is getting afraid to come out & refuses to take a worms from me too. No interest at all in the food.

Does he get really stressed when you do it? Poor Diego is getting afraid to come out & refuses to take a worms from me too. No interest at all in the food.

He doesn't enjoy it, but he doesn't run when he sees me coming. Feldman used to try climbing up my arm most of the time I had my hand in the cage.

He looks at the various bugs I offer but seems to get bored and walks away, usually right over the tops of them. He was back to eating silks and butterworms a few weeks back but refusing his former favorite, superworms. Now he is refusing everything.

At one point he was down to 90 grams, from a starting point of 120g and was quite listless. Over the last several months he has gained weight on the Carnivore Care and grown a 1/2" or so (very hard to measure these guys with any degree of accuracy. He is now up to 145g as of yesterday.

His meds consist of Hepasil and Glipizide daily and Metacam every-other day, all by mouth. Prozyme enzyme powder gets mixed in with his Carnivore Care. Getting him to open his mouth is the hard part.

Back
Top Bottom