Carly's Enclosure Upgrade

IMG_20210213_075317231.jpg
IMG_20210213_075258418.jpg

Tackling this today! I am also selling my t8 fixture if anyone is interested.... The can probably be used for other reptiles.

I agree that next to the window is probably the best spot. Whichever side that that the sun doesn’t shine the most directly would be good. She’ll have a nice view out the window and you could always set up a nice little free range in front of it. Hope you’ll be posting pics when all is set up. :)

FWIW, I got the east-facing window from here:
An east-facing window would be ideal, because it would allow the chameleon to enjoy the warmth of the morning sun. Next best would be a west-facing window, which would get afternoon sun. Afternoon sun can be hotter, so more care is needed to provide a cool, sheltered retreat for the chameleon. Northern exposures are not recommended because direct sunlight does not usually enter through a north-facing window. Southern exposures, on the other hand, are nice and sunny, but can create a very hot room.
https://www.reptilesmagazine.com/herp-habitats-chameleon/
If East is unavailable, it gives the other directions in order of preference.
So... East, West, South, North ;)

Sorry I didn't include this before. 🥺

So.... Very long story. We got the enclosure built! I decided to redo her current enclosure to the correct length of UVB distance and put the Arcadia on there so she had uvb until I could get her into the other Enclosure.

This piggy STILL ate under stress of me moving her around. She refused to stay in the shoebox so I had to still have her in her enclosure.

Long story short I got it all worked out and just waiting to go plant shopping with my mom and for the hygrometer to come tomorrow!

Also, when I took her t8 off of her enclosure it said replace yearly... I thought it was every six months!

These upgrades needed to be done anyway!

That looks like a supply register under the table. If your heating plant (furnace/boiler) includes humidity, that may not be too bad, however I'm concerned the hot air blowing up may dry things out too much.

There are accessories called register deflectors or vent deflectors that can channel the hot air from blowing directly on the enclosure. If you decide to go that way, you'll need to get one for the type & size register you have.

+1

AFAIK, most—if not all—Dracaenas are safe. They're great because there's a lot of variety in their appearance (and color to some extent).

Note of this species:
  • High Light—it will ned to be somewhat close to the top of your enclosure, or you'll need fairly bright lights that will penetrate to reach it.
  • Watering—may depend on the saturation of daily misting. Provide good drainage.
I'm not sure how you'd prep that (pesticides?) for an enclosure as far as cleaning. I see Lowes.com on the label, so that may be a clue/hint.

I did get them at lowes. We have a compost
so we replace the top part of the plants soil with it.

Hi! I have some questions about females!

1. Carly's age is unknown but her predicted age is going to be about 10 months in March. Should I cut back her feedings to three times a week or is she okay at every other day? I don't want to make her underweight because she is tiny.

2. I'm also concerned that she has still not layed eggs yet! Is this a good or a bad sign?

Thanks! :) 💖

Back
Top Bottom