carl's vet visit

batmancumming

so a few days ago, while feeding, i noticed carl was bulging his right eye and rubbing it on a branch right before trying to shoot at a butterworm. he does the whole eye bulge thing during mistings but never like that. upon closer inspection i noticed his eye was slightly swollen and not open as fully as the other. i immediately got worried, and hoped maybe he just got something stuck in there so i gave him a few drops of artificial tears eye drops and let him go to sleep. yesterday when i woke up it looked the same and decided to just make a vet appointment asap. i work for UPS and this is the extremely busy season with 12 hour days mostly all week long which adds to my stress level immensely. i mentioned this to my dad in the morning and without my even knowing, as soon as i left for work, he made an appointment and decided to help me out by taking him today. we don't always see eye to eye, but when it comes to the animals, he will always help me out when need be, and i am very grateful for that. i came home and wrote up the "ask for help" form along with questions and comments for the vet since i myself couldnt be there. so everything went pretty smoothly and carl was diagnosed with conjunctivitis and perscribed some terramycin ointment twice daily. AND the bill was only $64 (a good thing to know for people who put off vet appointments for the fear of cost). other than that he said carl looks to be in good shape. now i do have a few questions from some experienced keepers : 1) how long should i give him the terramycin for? the vet either forgot to tell my dad or my dad just forgot what he was told (the latter i believe haha) and 2) he mentioned that he wouldn't recommend distilled water in my auto mister and said to switch to regular bottled. the lack of impurities isn't good for him or somethin along those lines. any ideas about that?

Calvin had to go vets cuz if an eye problem n was told it was conjunctivitis. I had drops to give her twice a day too but I forget the name. I had to take her back after 4 days for a checkup and was advised to carry on givin them for 2 weeks n go back if it got worse. If got better tho and no problema since....touch wood!! :)
Hope Carl makes a quick recovery!!

Usually you can call and find out from the receptionist. They can ask the veterinarian and are used to answering the questions again. :) Usually I script things out and re-check in 3-4 days or longer depending on the underlying issue. If they said conjunctivitis then prolly a week or so will do it and then re-check but it would be best to see how it's going. I do lots of re-checks though. Typically I have people put meds in 3x daily for eye stuff since the eye itself will wash the ointment away. If it seems to be making it worse then bring him back in to your vet.

Thank you all i will be sure to keep you all updated. I called today before work and they said 7-10 days should be good and if no progress i'll take em back. He doesnt like the ointment at all lol. I felt bad he grabbed the qtip this morning after i applied some as if to say "dad noooo!" :(

Thank you all i will be sure to keep you all updated. I called today before work and they said 7-10 days should be good and if no progress i'll take em back. He doesnt like the ointment at all lol. I felt bad he grabbed the qtip this morning after i applied some as if to say "dad noooo!" :(

Haha poor little guy, its better than having itchy eyes though!:)

well this was day 2 of treatment for carl, and this morning his eye was open fully and more alert than before :) still puffy, but we're only 4 doses in so hopefully the end of next week he will be back normal

Back
Top Bottom