Carlos: Life and Death Decision

carlosandcat

I went to see the vet today and although they are experienced exotic vets, I am a bit concerned about the tank they have him in, its very basic, 4 sides glass, wiht sliding front doors, 30 30 x 40cm ish with a curly branch in the middle, no leaves, and a lasagne box for him to hide in (which as far as i'm aware is not what chameleons use - thats more snakes and beardies)

They have basically given us the choice of keeping him and continuing treatment - antibiotics and hydration injections, or a cloaricle wash (to get a poo sample) and sending him home. Or putting him to sleep.

i dont know what's for the best. He's been ill two weeks now (see 'puffy eyes and no pooing, tinned pears' thread for details) , should i take him home to his tank to die in peace and familiar surroundings hoping it will pep him up or should We put him out of his suffering?

:(Oh boy! I wouldn't want to have to make that very hard decision.I haven't got any experience in sick reptiles and wouldn't be a very good judge.....all you can really do is look to the vet for a professional opinion and look inside yourself for the emotional one,good luck with your choice and i am sure you will make the right one for Carlos if or when the time comes

Where are you from. I would definitely try to bring him back. Also, if possible maybe you could find a more experienced keeper in your area that could try to bring him back for you.

What did the vet say was wrong?

Also, could you fill this out? Just to give us a little more insight on what is going on.

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
* Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
* Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
* Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
* Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
* Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
* Location - Where are you geographically located?

Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
* Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
* Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
* Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
* Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
* Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
* History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
* Current Problem - The current problem that you are concerned about.

Hes done that Rocky.

Im thinking it may have been impacted, just going on the 'giant poo' and temporary recovery you mentioned in the last thread. However there may have been some other complication from that or along with that.
Only you can make any descision, but personally, pumping it with carnivor mix? dosent sound too good to me, better than nothing, but a half baked effort on the vets part.
I certainly wouldnt be destroying it yet.
Did the vet not give you some indication of what was going on, or is he/she merely treating symptoms?
Has it pooped in vet care? Has the vet offered a natural diet?
Personally Id be taking it home, setting it up in housing by itself, with a dripper.
Drip water over its mouth if nessesary, and offering green bugs, worms by hand.

As per the last thread, at this time I beleive 92f is a bit too high, id be lowering it to 85 for now. The reason is based on the lack of diagnosis/medication.
Though sick reptiles can often benefit from slightly raised temperatures (raises the metabolism and speeds up recovery and medication process), however, in this case, your lizard has not been diagnosed.
If an internal infection exist, you have no idea of knowing how advanced it is. Higher temps in this case may prove negative, since an increase in metabolism will also speed the advance of infection. (you want to avoid this). 85 should be warm enough for it to digest food/move about, until you know more or it improves.

I think the closed eyes are related to stress/sickness, rather than eye injury/infection, filling its eyes with drops and the handling nessesary to do so, will only add to its stress and inturn, weaken further its immune system, possibly leading to further complications.

If at all possible, get another consultation , ring around and speak to them first, ask about specific reptile experience. At very least, question this vet further, and if he/she can offer no more, perhaps ask them if they could refer you to a vet with more specific reptile experience.

The hospital setup they have it in, strongly suggest only the vaguest reptile experience, and that 'exotic' is generally anything other than dogs, cats, birds.

Thinking of you, hoping for best outcome.
Cheers :)

i dont know who your vet is, but i think most vets would rather over play their herp experience, than lose face (not to mention 150+$) sad but true, herp vets need to be check out before your visit , there are only two reasons to keep a sick cham like that , either they dont know, or they dont care, either way (not an overly encouraging sign)

Back
Top Bottom