Care Review

BCboom

I have made most of the changes that I have been advised to make from older threads, and now I am just making a care review.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Male Veiled Chameleon, been in my care for almost 3 months
  • Handling - Almost never, If I do handle him it is when I am making adjustments to my cage.
  • Feeding - I feed my chameleon crickets, bsfl, and mealworms (I feed him occasionally mealworms as almost a snack, because he goes crazy for them). I am currently feeding him about 8-14 bsfl every day along with 2-3 mealworms as treats. I am not currently feeding him crickets because it is cold where I live and whenever I order them they are DOA (I plan on feeding him crickets once the weather is a bit warmer).
  • Supplements - I supplement his insect with calcium without d3 every feeding. Calcium with d3 twice a month and multivitamin twice a month.
  • Watering - I mist my chameleon's cage thoroughly for about 1-2 minutes each mist, twice a day. I see him drink often.
  • Fecal Description - His feces is normal and the urate part is always white. He has never been tested for parasites.
  • History - He has been in my care for 3 months

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Screen Mesh 16x16x30
  • Lighting - t5 5.0 linear uvb, and a 100 watt heat bulb. Lights are on for 12 hrs and off for 12 hrs
  • Temperature - Average cage temp is 70-73 basking spot is 80-88
  • Humidity - I mist twice a day and allow the cage to dry before misting again
  • Plants - 100% live plants. Golden Pothos, Umbrella Plant, and a Petra Croton.
  • Placement - It is located on a small bookshelf away from ventilation
  • Location - New England, USA

Current Problem - Just a care check.. (Btw he is not normally gray like in the pics but became that color when I tried to get a picture of him.)

IMG_7088.jpg IMG_7087.jpg IMG_1464.jpg

See my feedback in bold.

I have made most of the changes that I have been advised to make from older threads, and now I am just making a care review.

Chameleon Info:

• Handling - Almost never, If I do handle him it is when I am making adjustments to my cage.
  • Feeding - I feed my chameleon crickets, bsfl, and mealworms (I feed him occasionally mealworms as almost a snack, because he goes crazy for them). I am currently feeding him about 8-14 bsfl every day along with 2-3 mealworms as treats. I am not currently feeding him crickets because it is cold where I live and whenever I order them they are DOA (I plan on feeding him crickets once the weather is a bit warmer). Get medium superworms rather then mealworms. They are better nutritionally. You need another feeder. This time of year is always harder. May have to pay for a heat pack. But you do not want to just be feeding BSFL. So small dubia would be good. And they hold up really well in cold weather shipping.
  • Supplements - I supplement his insect with calcium without d3 every feeding. Calcium with d3 twice a month and multivitamin twice a month.
  • Watering - I mist my chameleon's cage thoroughly for about 1-2 minutes each mist, twice a day. I see him drink often.
  • Fecal Description - His feces is normal and the urate part is always white. He has never been tested for parasites.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Screen Mesh 16x16x30 Time to start planning for an upgrade 2x2x4 minimum.
  • Lighting - t5 5.0 linear uvb, and a 100 watt heat bulb. Lights are on for 12 hrs and off for 12 hrs 100 watt is far too intense for how close he is under the lights. High risk for thermal burn. You want to get that heat fixture up off the top of the cage a good 4-5 inches. This will reduce temp and thermal burn risk.
  • Temperature - Average cage temp is 70-73 basking spot is 80-88. Basking is too hot 80-82.. 85 would be a max end for an adult. Temps at night need to be 60-65. They need the cool down.
  • Humidity - I mist twice a day and allow the cage to dry before misting again. What is your humidity level? Should be 30-40% during the day. And 70% or higher at night when it is cold.
  • Plants - 100% live plants. Golden Pothos, Umbrella Plant, and a Petra Croton. Wonderful!

Current Problem - Just a care check.. (Btw he is not normally gray like in the pics but became that color when I tried to get a picture of him.)

Attachments

• chameleon-gutload.jpg
    chameleon-gutload.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 70
  • chameleon-food(1).jpg
    chameleon-food(1).jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 68
See my feedback in bold.

Chameleon Info:

• Feeding - I feed my chameleon crickets, bsfl, and mealworms (I feed him occasionally mealworms as almost a snack, because he goes crazy for them). I am currently feeding him about 8-14 bsfl every day along with 2-3 mealworms as treats. I am not currently feeding him crickets because it is cold where I live and whenever I order them they are DOA (I plan on feeding him crickets once the weather is a bit warmer). Get medium superworms rather then mealworms. They are better nutritionally. You need another feeder. This time of year is always harder. May have to pay for a heat pack. But you do not want to just be feeding BSFL. So small dubia would be good. And they hold up really well in cold weather shipping.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Screen Mesh 16x16x30 Time to start planning for an upgrade 2x2x4 minimum.
  • Lighting - t5 5.0 linear uvb, and a 100 watt heat bulb. Lights are on for 12 hrs and off for 12 hrs 100 watt is far too intense for how close he is under the lights. High risk for thermal burn. You want to get that heat fixture up off the top of the cage a good 4-5 inches. This will reduce temp and thermal burn risk.
  • Temperature - Average cage temp is 70-73 basking spot is 80-88. Basking is too hot 80-82.. 85 would be a max end for an adult. Temps at night need to be 60-65. They need the cool down.
  • Humidity - I mist twice a day and allow the cage to dry before misting again. What is your humidity level? Should be 30-40% during the day. And 70% or higher at night when it is cold.
  • Plants - 100% live plants. Golden Pothos, Umbrella Plant, and a Petra Croton. Wonderful!

Thanks for the response. I will lower my basking branch to the right height, and at night my temps do range from 65-68. As for humidity I currently don't have anything to measure them but I am sure that they are in the right zone.

Thanks for the response. I will lower my basking branch to the right height, and at night my temps do range from 65-68. As for humidity I currently don't have anything to measure them but I am sure that they are in the right zone.
So humidity is still a really important aspect to measure. I really love these govee monitors. They hook up to an app on your phone. You can see at any time what the temp and humidity is. You can use a zip tie to hook it in and you just want to place it where it will not get hit with direct moisture. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07R586J37/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hi you could move your lights up rather than your basking branch down to make the most of your enclosure or as stated lower the wattage of your basking light . What other bulb do you have in your fixture

Hi you could move your lights up rather than your basking branch down to make the most of your enclosure or as stated lower the wattage of your basking light . What other bulb do you have in your fixture
I have a daylight blue 100 watt heatbulb. I dont have another bulb in the other fixture. For my uvb I have t5 5.0 linear uvb

Coloured lights are not recommended as they could cause eye issues. A single dome would possibly be better to focus your heat jn the right way

Coloured lights are not recommended as they could cause eye issues. A single dome would possibly be better to focus your heat jn the right way
the daylight blue heat lights are fine, they produce a white light... It is red heat lights that cause eye issues.

Back
Top Bottom