Care for Croc Skinks? Triblonotus gracilis

james L

Established Member
Hello All! I just recieved a pair or WC Crocodile Skinks (Triblonotus gracilis) in a trade and I was wondering if there is any out there who could give me some pointers? What are the best temps? Prefered foods? Housing tips? Im currently houing each one in a 10 gal tank with cypress mulch, a few live plants, big pieces of cork for them to hide under, some larger sticks for them to crawl on and a large dish of water. For lighting im using a old Reptisun 10. No basking light. Current temps in the room im keeping them ranges from the mid 70's to the low 80's. Havent feed yet. Any tips would be great! Thanks!!

I have had trouble with this species, and I have tried several different things. I went according to care sheets and they died, so I developed my own methods. This is what I would do... I would have a male/female pair, as they show monogamy and bond, and put them in a larger container, like a big plastic container with screen covering it and holes drilled in the side. You want it to be humid, but have good airflow as well. I would have a bulb for basking, a low wattage bulb, around 90 for basking, and they will utilize it when they need to. Have an area of moss, have an area for soil, and have a water dish with clean, filtered water at all times. With this species, I would suggest Reptaid. Make sure there is NO mold or fungus in the cage at all. This is difficult because you want to keep it damp, but not to dry it out. Just make sure there is some airflow under the corkbark. Stagnant air seems to be a killer. I had to vary temps from 72 on on side having the temp slowly increase as it gets to the 90 degree basking spot. Have hiding areas at each of the different temps. They like to be able to go from moist to dry areas as well, so I would have areas of rocks where they can hide in as well as elevate themselves in the cage a little. This is probably where I would have the basking light. I would have undertank heat between the room temp side and the basking side. They end up being slightly high maintenance, but they are so worth it. They are protective of their eggs and raise their young. Watch for nasal discharge and treat at the first sign of lethargy. If I think of anymore that I forgot, I will post more. Hope that helps :)

Looks like most of the other folks have covered it. Damp but not wet, he keeps his group down here so he uses natural lighting. He also says they really enjoy a hide area other than just the mulch.

Back
Top Bottom