Can't Tell If My Jackson Is Gravid. Any Thoughts??

ufcmalone10

I got her a few weeks ago from a show, and she's was a bit big when I got her. The guy said they had a gravid one but didn't bring her. So I figured they would know if she was and they didn't say she was. They did have her caged with another male and female. I bought the male and female. I had them together for a few days but never messed with one another. She would rock when he walked by her but that's it. My friend wanted him so I sold my male to him but kept my female because she could possibly be gravid. What do you think? How far along do you think she is if so? Any help would be appreciated so I can get my little "Nursery" ready lol.

Attachments

• sassy side.jpg
    sassy side.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 211
  • sassy back.jpg
    sassy back.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 158
  • sassy standing.jpg
    sassy standing.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 208
  • sassy.jpg
    sassy.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 158
I know they don't lay eggs but you might be able to feel her belly for the baby's looks pretty fat but I can't tell for sure.

Okay, I doubted she was but I also had a feeling she was. Maybe she's just fat. Lol sometimes she's normal size then when she's relaxing she's fat.

Mine did that for awhile then I saw that there was like 4-5 more poops in the cage and she was back to normal size after a few weeks she turned really bright and pretty colors and was all over my male after 2 weeks she got really aggressive to the male and me for some reason then i took her out of the males cage and she was friendly again.

If this is a wild caught then she probably already was gravid and it is just a mater of time (remember chameleons can retain sperm for multiple births). Her rocking could have been a warning to the male that she is not receptive. My suggestion would be to enjoy her as a pet and if she does have babies that would be a bonus. Also if gravid, she will gain weight fast so make sure your giving her the proper diet, lighting, and minimize stress.

If this is a wild caught then she probably already was gravid and it is just a mater of time (remember chameleons can retain sperm for multiple births). Her rocking could have been a warning to the male that she is not receptive. My suggestion would be to enjoy her as a pet and if she does have babies that would be a bonus. Also if gravid, she will gain weight fast so make sure your giving her the proper diet, lighting, and minimize stress.

Very good advice.

Sometimes it is very difficult to tell if a female is gravid just by looking at her--some females will display a camouflage sort of pattern of green and black while gravid, but others remain solid green.

Since she had been kept with a male, it is very likely that she is.

As Mredhorse said, rocking from side to side is often a warning that she isn't receptive.
If she also turned black while doing so, it would be a strong indication---but the male may have heeded the warning and so no color change was needed.

Fat chams will have a rounded tail base but gravid females will have an oval tail base.

Get a digital scale and check her weight every few weeks,
If she is gravid, her weight will keep going up.

If she gains weight steadily, be sure to get the necessary supplies for newborn care and be sure to familiarize yourself with the care of newborn Jackson's.

Back
Top Bottom