Can't keep humidity up in glass enclosure

carljr

Hello,

I have a panther chameleon who's currently in a glass enclosure, but for some reason the past couple days it's been difficult to keep the humidity up. Normally in the morning/night it's 70% but during the day it drops to 50% and now even low as 40%! I keep a dripper on all throughout the day, have live plants, and even keep a water dish at the bottom so it can evaporate during the day.. and normally I only mist twice a day but now I've been misting almost 3-4 times a day just to keep it from going so low! I think maybe because it's starting to become summer where I live and the temperature is hotter.. but other than that I can't think of a reason why. I make sure to check the temperature and sometimes the basking temperature goes up to 93F but then I adjust it so it goes back down to 90F.

Any ideas or tips? I'm going insane with the constant misting!

Thanks

It would be helpful if you post pics of the entire enclosure. Glass is something most stay away from because they do hold humidity especially when set up correctly.

The issue with misting constantly while you have lights on and temps that high in the enclosure is that you risk giving your chameleon a respiratory infection. Heat plus moist air create hot wet air that they breath in which is not good.

I use hydroballs about one inch. They keep humidity levels more even. But be careful I hear too much humidity can cause respiratory infections and with a glass cage it may be more likely.

Back
Top Bottom