Canned Insects

Catinblack

So, I’ve been preparing for a Chameleon for months. I’ve put hours of time into making sure I do it right, but a lot of things are shifting that ruins my plan. I worked most of it out, but there’s one big thing I have to fix. I’m not aloud to have a cricket habitat. I’m going to adopt a male Veild, and I heard that they are willing to eat canned insects. I can either do this, or raise him on strictly refrigerated mealworms and fruits/veges. I will feed him fruits and veges regardless, but I feel like it’d be better to feed him a variety of canned insects as appose to one specific type of insect. I know it’s frownd apon, but I don’t have much of a choice, and I don’t think it would be the biggestest deal. So, can I raise a healthy chameleon on strictly canned insects\ fresh fruits and veges (I’ll have D3 and Multivitimans in the mix too, alterating once a week)

Chameleons need live food, I would buy crickets on Amazon or Josh's Frogs or something, I would buy small, or pinheads if he is a baby....look at the care sheet on the site for the chameleon you want

So, I’ve been preparing for a Chameleon for months. I’ve put hours of time into making sure I do it right, but a lot of things are shifting that ruins my plan. I worked most of it out, but there’s one big thing I have to fix. I’m not aloud to have a cricket habitat. I’m going to adopt a male Veild, and I heard that they are willing to eat canned insects. I can either do this, or raise him on strictly refrigerated mealworms and fruits/veges. I will feed him fruits and veges regardless, but I feel like it’d be better to feed him a variety of canned insects as appose to one specific type of insect. I know it’s frownd apon, but I don’t have much of a choice, and I don’t think it would be the biggestest deal. So, can I raise a healthy chameleon on strictly canned insects\ fresh fruits and veges (I’ll have D3 and Multivitimans in the mix too, alterating once a week)

No, this really isn't a good option. You could raise a child on just rice and multivitamins, but a varied diet is the better option. Using dead bugs that can't be gutloaded is not going to work long term and will lead to health issues down the road. There are other feeder options out there, but mealworms are not a good staple feeder either. Fruits and veggies are not the main part of a chameleon's diet either. These can be given as an additional snack for a chameleon that may eat them, but they don't all do it. I would limit the amount of fruits offered also.

I would not personally decide to get a chameleon if I could not effectively provide for it. You should definitely figure a better option for feeding prior to bringing one home (in my opinion).

You might ask your family if you can have a cricket pen outside in an area not to hot, also be sure to have a good sized cage veiled are very territorial they need there space, and don't try to pick him up right away you need patience. Look at this and read it https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/the-taming-of-the-chameleon.746/ it might help you know what to do when you get it.

I can’t keep a pen outside due to exterminators. I had a whole plan, but my hands are a bit tied down right now. I’m trying to figure something out that won’t cause harm

No, this really isn't a good option. You could raise a child on just rice and multivitamins, but a varied diet is the better option. Using dead bugs that can't be gutloaded is not going to work long term and will lead to health issues down the road. There are other feeder options out there, but mealworms are not a good staple feeder either. Fruits and veggies are not the main part of a chameleon's diet either. These can be given as an additional snack for a chameleon that may eat them, but they don't all do it. I would limit the amount of fruits offered also.

I would not personally decide to get a chameleon if I could not effectively provide for it. You should definitely figure a better option for feeding prior to bringing one home (in my opinion).

Do you have any suggestions? My dad says I should get a refrigerator for crickets and mealworms, but not feed them... which would kill them unless I got a hand full which would be eaten in a day

Do you have any suggestions? My dad says I should get a refrigerator for crickets and mealworms, but not feed them... which would kill them unless I got a hand full which would be eaten in a day

You don't need a refrigerator for crickets. You do need to feed them, but they could simply eat the fruits and veggies that you are thinking of feeding your chameleon.

So if you don't mind me asking, since I was assuming that you were told that you could not have live bugs, what is the actual issue that you can't feed a chameleon these items?

I’m kind of torn on this. I’ve seen many websites and reptile owners support canned insects, but others saying it’s not enough. Can anyone give me evidence on why these are harmful? I’m sure they aren’t as good as live food, but I want to see if I can avoid that option before adopting a cham. I’m sure it’s different, but I almost see this as feed a dog kibble instead of cooked steak. I don’t know, I’m fresh on this specific topic.

You don't need a refrigerator for crickets. You do need to feed them, but they could simply eat the fruits and veggies that you are thinking of feeding your chameleon.

So if you don't mind me asking, since I was assuming that you were told that you could not have live bugs, what is the actual issue that you can't feed a chameleon these items?

The issue is that I’m worried the crickets will die quickly, and I’ll have to go back and forth constantly just to feed my cham. From what I’ve learned with cricket keeping, you feed them once a day

The issue is that I’m worried the crickets will die quickly, and I’ll have to go back and forth constantly just to feed my cham. From what I’ve learned with cricket keeping, you feed them once a day

But my dads against anything but a refrigerator

IMO I don't think you are ready for a chameleon yet. This ins't an animal you can try to cut corners with. These are delicate reptiles with specific needs and those needs have to be met or the chameleon doesn't stand a chance. I encourage you to rethink your situation considering you are going to be moving him back and forth from your parents house every other weekend. And since you are still under your parents' household, and it seems like they put a lot of limits on what you can and cannot do, I would wait until you are at least a little more independent so you can really take care of a chameleon. I think that the reptile hobby is a great thing for a lot of people but you need to understand that chameleons are not pets but more like a full time job. I suggest you get something a little easier to care for and something a little more in your budget so that by the time you are ready for a chameleon you will at least have some experience with reptiles under your belt. This is just my opinion.

For other reptiles canned bugs can work. Chameleons are live insect eaters. The motion of the feeder is what attracts them to eat.
Maybe you should just consider getting a beardie or other lower maintenance reptile until your living situation changes.
I waited decades to get a chameleon. I wanted to be able to give them a full life span and that wouldn't have been possible at the time.

I’m kind of torn on this. I’ve seen many websites and reptile owners support canned insects, but others saying it’s not enough. Can anyone give me evidence on why these are harmful? I’m sure they aren’t as good as live food, but I want to see if I can avoid that option before adopting a cham. I’m sure it’s different, but I almost see this as feed a dog kibble instead of cooked steak. I don’t know, I’m fresh on this specific topic.

It isn't kibble vs steak, it is more like the rice and a balanced diet example I gave. If you want to keep looking for opinions out there that say it is OK to feed canned bugs, I'm sure you will find some. Most are going to be from people who have tried this and for a short while their chameleons did not show any visible health issues (or they didn't know what to look for). The thing that you won't see is the follow up about how their chameleon developed issues and ultimately did not do well.

The best option is for a varied diet containing as many different feeders as possible. If this isn't an option, you may want to reconsider if this is the right time in your life to get a chameleon. What are you going to do if your new chameleon decides that it does not want to eat dead bugs? Are you going to force feed it? The amount of stress this could cause would not be good either.

For other reptiles canned bugs can work. Chameleons are live insect eaters. The motion of the feeder is what attracts them to eat.
Maybe you should just consider getting a beardie or other lower maintenance reptile until your living situation changes.
I waited decades to get a chameleon. I wanted to be able to give them a full life span and that wouldn't have been possible at the time.
Imo no reptile should be raised on dead feeders. All my reptiles ever ignored dead feeders, even my ackies it goes against their instincts as a dead feeder was possibly sick.
So I cant imagine any reptile taking dead feeders that has a better alternative, if you dont offer this alternative you're just a selfish and s****y owner.

Last edited by a moderator:

The only two feeders you've mentioned at this point are Mealworms, which are a huge no-no for chameleons, because they're harder to digest, and if used as a staple can compound in their stomachs and cause health issues / death... these are a once in a blue moon treat only, if that.

and crickets, are a huge staple for most people because they're fairly inexpensive and easy to keep... There's nothing "wrong" persay with the canned ones, but they shouldn't be a staple item, if your chameleon would even bother eat them at all. They're live prey predators, which sounds pretty ridiculous but, it's legit. Think of it this way, if you were to throw a dead bird, and a live bird in front of a tiger, which one is it gonna go for?

There's also other feeders, like dubia roaches, silkworms, superworms, butterworms, black fly larvae, horn worms, a couple can be put in the fridge, but not all of them....

Gonna sound like a dick but I think you should probably ixnay the idea of getting a Cham until you're gonna be able to do what you need to do to give it the life and nutrition it deserves, and I'd do a lot more research if you're serious about keeping a Cham... they're not a dog, or a bird, they need a lot of maintenance, care, can cost a LOT of money- and you're not going to be able to properly care for a delicate creature like this if you're being told you can't give it it's most basic needs.

I did it the hard way, did a decent amount (but DEFINITELY not enough) research on feeding, caging, lights, and bought the cage, crickets, lights, etc the SAME DAY I got my Cham instead of beforehand and I've been playing catch-up ever since, (he's going into his 2*2*4 big boy cage soon :D) luckily he's happy and healthy.

just my two cents as a learning novice, can take it or leave it.
(y)

Imo no reptile should be raised on dead feeders. All my reptiles ever ignored dead feeders, even my ackies it goes against their instincts as a dead feeder was possibly sick.
So I cant imagine any reptile taking dead feeders that has a better alternative, if you dont offer this alternative you're just a selfish and s****y owner.

Well, there’s no need to call me selfish and s****y, I’m asking a question because I care.

Back
Top Bottom