Canned Insects

I have decided I’m not gonna get a chameleon, though. It really blows cuz I’ve been working twoards this for months, but my dad’s pretty stubborn on the “fact” that running to the petstore everyday and keeping crickets in a fridge is a better solution than keeping crickets in a tall glass aquarium with a cover (I’m pretty butt hurt to be honest XD). I’m sorry if I was rude to anyone, I don’t think I was, but I’m pretty dissapointed. But, regardless, I’m not gonna harm a critter just cuz I want one. Thank you for the help, though! But, I think I’m gonna find myself a new pet to take care of until I graduate in a couple years. Thanks a bunch!

I’m not trying to be snooty or anything, that’s a leginimate question
Yes, fruits and vegetables will provide a small amount of nutrients. The problem is chams are 98% insectivores, 2% herbivores. They did not evolve to run on plants. It’s like putting diesel in a gasoline engine. The engine may run for a few minutes but you can bet your valves will be ruined shortly

@Catinblack , you are not likely to find support for this idea here, so it is likely that some responses will be harsh if you keep looking for support for the idea. Its just the nature of things. I hope everyone will remember that all age groups are on the forums and will be respectful.

@Catinblack , you are not likely to find support for this idea here, so it is likely that some responses will be harsh if you keep looking for support for the idea. Its just the nature of things. I hope everyone will remember that all age groups are on the forums and will be respectful.

Oh, well, thank you!

I have decided I’m not gonna get a chameleon, though. It really blows cuz I’ve been working twoards this for months, but my dad’s pretty stubborn on the “fact” that running to the petstore everyday and keeping crickets in a fridge is a better solution than keeping crickets in a tall glass aquarium with a cover (I’m pretty butt hurt to be honest XD). I’m sorry if I was rude to anyone, I don’t think I was, but I’m pretty dissapointed. But, regardless, I’m not gonna harm a critter just cuz I want one. Thank you for the help, though! But, I think I’m gonna find myself a new pet to take care of until I graduate in a couple years. Thanks a bunch!

I have one chameleon and I get crickets once a week. I also have a few other feeders around at all times for variety. I do not keep them in an aquarium, but in a small plastic bin with a vented lid. It needs to be kept clean and food needs to be replaced before it molds or spoils, and it is a lot of work to do this (slave to bugs :rolleyes:) but it isn't impossible. I think your research should be focused on how people raise and keep feeders for a while ;).

@Catinblack you came here because you wanted advice and it has been given to you by a handful of seasons keepers. I’m sorry your not hearing what you wanted to but this community only cares about the health of the Cham. We have nothing to gain by raining on your parade. Your not ready, but I can tell you really want to do this so take that determination and focus it towards solving these problems. They aren’t many and are not huge problems, take your time and I’m sure you will figure something out. We will be here when you figure things out. Good luck!

Yes, fruits and vegetables will provide a small amount of nutrients. The problem is chams are 98% insectivores, 2% herbivores. They did not evolve to run on plants. It’s like putting diesel in a gasoline engine. The engine may run for a few minutes but you can bet your valves will be ruined shortly

Ha, I was going to use this one, but went with the rice instead :D...

You'll be glad you waited. Keep chameleons in mind for when you have a place of your own and a steady income to support one. You've made a very mature decision.

Proud of you newby! I’m serious, you couldn’t imagine how many rookies come here to ask questions only to throw a hissy fit when they don’t get the answers they want.

Now on the behalf of this community, if I may, we would like to thank you for the way you handled the criticism. It is rare for someone your age to be that calm under fire. At no point did you come across as rude.This doesn’t have to be goodbye, we would love to have you back once you figure things out, and I know you will!

I don't think your selfish or other stuff, I think your just wanting to know "how to" why would you want to be selfish over a cham….Even my parents you effy about getting a cham and the crickets but after time they said it was ok, maybe if your dads ok with it get this "https://www.amazon.com/Lees-20078-Kricket-Keeper-Large/dp/B0002DHAWQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1536795157&sr=8-3&keywords=lee's+kricket+keeper" show it to your dad it works great just pull a tube have a cup with calcium and shake a few in there and Boom your good and put it in the cage(have a cup up in the top if it's a baby cham) but if you get stuff like cricket orange cubes or Cricket Crack or something that would work for food you will be good just ask your dad about this it works well make sure to have bedding so it doesn't stink from the cricket dung

"Edit" Sorry I was late I didn't refresh the page so I didn't see any of this decision making, Glad you made your choice great answer to hope you find something that fits for you.

Well, there’s no need to call me selfish and s****y, I’m asking a question because I care.
I did not call you that. If you were to purchase a reptile and feed it canned crap, then you are s****y and selfish. But you decided not to go on with it, wise choice!
You wouldnt be doing anybody a favor feeding canned food, well maybe only the vet...
Just wait until you can care for one properly, it will be more fun for you and a better life for your animal.

You may want to research daygechos, there's some that mainly eat fruit there I think and they are pretty, could be a nice one to start the hobby.

I read that you decided to wait... Thats good. I personally would not raise a cham without a solid roach colony. Too expensive and too much of a pain to buy bugs daily plus there is a chance they be out. I am glad you asked before doing this. It would probably work for a while if he ate them, but eventually it would catch up to you both.

Back
Top Bottom