Can you prevent?

Jweezy

Is there any way to prevent a female veiled from producing eggs?
My female veiled wont ever be introduced with a male, so i was just curious if there was anything you can do for her so she wont produce a clutch because I know she will produce infertile eggs.

just curious

thanks

Hello there,
Im no expert but from everything I've read here it's impossible to prevent females from laying...They're kind of like chickens. That's why most suggest on owning males as their diet isn't as complicated and you don't have to worry about egg binding. Hope this helps :)

The only success I have heard of is only partial. Lower temps and closely monitoring that they are kept from ever over eating may help reduce clutch size but will most likely not prevent her from laying.imo

Na, spaying is a really dangerous procedure for chameleons and doing it when it's not life-saving is just risking too much, in my opinion.

Some people have had success with the method Laurie mentions (more about it here: http://raisingkittytheveiledchameleon.blogspot.com/2007/12/keeping-female-veiled.html) Some females have gone for years without laying a single egg while others have maybe gone two years before their first clutch. Anything helps, really, even just laying clutches farther apart is good for their long-term health.

I've been doing this religiously for my female veiled, but it's possible that because she can see my other male chameleons it triggers her ovulation. So I'm experimenting with isolating her completely and see if this makes the difference. But it works really well for many people.

I have been keeping veileds since the mid 90's at least and I have had quite a few female veileds that have never laid an egg and lived to be over 6 years of age. I have also taken some of these veileds and introduced them to a male and had them produce eggs. All the clutches were in the range of 20 eggs or so. The eggs all hatched and the babies were healthy. The females I kept and raised were healthy and also laid no eggs unless I mated them.

I'm sure that its the way I keep them that makes this possible. I control their diet and lower the temperatures slightly to slow the metabolism. I think that to have this happen, its important that the supplementing and feeding of the insects be done the same way I do it as well. What I do is explained here...
http://raisingkittytheveiledchameleon.blogspot.com/2007/12/keeping-female-veiled.html

Back
Top Bottom