If you have a big enough vivarium, can you house a male and female
Panther chameleon in the same vivarium?

I have heard a few people do this?
But just wanted your thoughts?

Many thanks
Dean

In short.

No.

However if you have a large enough enclosure or free range there has been people who have successfully done it.. In my opinion the bad outweighs the good though and you would just be better off with separate cages

In short.

No.

However if you have a large enough enclosure or free range there has been people who have successfully done it.. In my opinion the bad outweighs the good though and you would just be better off with separate cages

Ok thanks for the reply....

What would u say is the minimum size viv
To house a male and a female?

If you keep the two together they will almost certainly mate as soon as they are sexually mature, which IMHO can be hard on the female. In the wild, if the female doesn't want to mate she has the option of moving away from the male but in a confined area in captivity she doesn't. Just food for thought.

Yes fair comments

Thanks for the replies much appreciated

What do u think about a mixed vivarium?

So have a male chameleon and with red eye tree frogs in the same viv

Or a green Madagascar day gecko?

Thanks dean

Yes fair comments

Thanks dean

Probably not a good idea. Good chance of stressful encounters and somebody ending up as a meal.

I know we all sound the same, and pretty harsh, but add all our years of keeping chameleons together and hopefully we know what we are talking about. Just food for thought. Also we will help you what ever you decide.

I had a male free range in a 14 x 18 ' room. The only time the female ever saw him was when I took her up to breed. Twice she said no and took off, third time was a charm. But she could get away and I was there to take her out of Lenny's room when she did not want near him. That was a good size room and I still stayed to protect my sweet Annie.

Yes fair comments

Thanks dean

The real message here is, your chameleon won't want to share its limited space with anyone. Chams are relatively aggressive and territorial. A red eyed tree frog will need very different habitat conditions than a panther cham and the two have the possibility of exposing each other to bacteria and parasites that the other won't have much resistance to. And, their different activity patterns will annoy both. If there's much size difference the cham may attempt to eat the frog or the gecko.

In all fairness to both animals, give them setups that are designed for the best possible captive life. Don't force either to just persist in something less than great. You'll have more leeway to create different habitats too (and isn't t hat a lot of the fun anyway?

If they freerange together just keep an eye on them. I have had some pretty brutal encounters between males and females. Cham bites can do some damage and cause serious injury!

Back
Top Bottom