Can you help me identify this plant?

Debbie61

I bought this at Home Depot today for Silas to hang out on and there was not a tag on it saying what it was. Looks like an Umbrella plant to me, but it could be a money tree. Can anyone tell by the photo what it is?

Attachments

• Picture 821.jpg
    Picture 821.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 205
Long-Leaved Schefflera (Umbrella Plant)- Schefflera actinophylla

Very different from the nontoxic Umbrella Plant

Short-Leaved Schefflera (Umbrella Plant)- Schefflera arboricola

So is the long leaf a no no then?

From what I have read.... Yes. Every safe plant list I have read, specifically says Schefflera aboricola.

I have a few of the Schefflera actinophylla outside of my home. I have cut branchs to trim the plant, and it has oozed sticky liquid from the cut of the branch. I think that is what is considered "toxic". Not sure if I am correct though.

Schefflera actinophylla is considered toxic to pets. Everthing I have read about it concerning chameleons has been negative.

BTW, how is your new little guy settling in?

From what I have read.... Yes. Every safe plant list I have read, specifically says Schefflera aboricola.

I have a few of the Schefflera actinophylla outside of my home. I have cut branchs to trim the plant, and it has oozed sticky liquid from the cut of the branch. I think that is what is considered "toxic". Not sure if I am correct though.

thanks for the info also! I don't have any now but I know for the future not to get them!!!!!

Schefflera arboricola will ooze a milky white liquid as well. If you do any pruning it's best to wipe off the cut ends as the liquid is an irritant.

HI Steelheadchaser, Thanks for the information I did return the plant I had bought and purchased a safe umbrella(schefflera aboricola). Now I just need to clean it up (spray if off) and see how he likes it. BTW, Silas is doing great. He is (I think) a happy cham as far as I can tell. Thanks for asking :)

Schefflera arboricola will ooze a milky white liquid as well. If you do any pruning it's best to wipe off the cut ends as the liquid is an irritant.

I have pruned many Shefflera arboricola, and have never noticed any white liquid oozing from it...

Has anyone really had problems with this plant??? I have used it many times without any issues. Its very common here in S.FL. Its an invasive plant so it grow everywhere. For years I have collected these and used them from everything from critter enclosures to goofy looking bonsai. There fine!!! Also the ooze is called sap...... Its common for plants to "ooze" when there pruned.

I have pruned many Shefflera arboricola, and have never noticed any white liquid oozing from it...

It is Ficus plants that exude the milky sap which can irritate chameleons' eyes. Schefflera smell quite strong if a leaf is snapped off, but I've never seen any sap from mine. I only use Schefflera now as Ficus don't like to live for me!:rolleyes:

Milky? Really

I've pruned a heck of a lot of Scheffleras and I've never seen one bleed a milky sap. I do often see them ooze clear sap. Its not particularly irritating. Are you sure of your plant ID Steelheadchaser?

I've pruned a heck of a lot of Scheffleras and I've never seen one bleed a milky sap. I do often see them ooze clear sap. Its not particularly irritating. Are you sure of your plant ID Steelheadchaser?

Yes and no.

I was thinking about my Ficuses when describing the sap. I have only seen traces of clear sap from my scheffleras.

As far being an irritant goes, yes, I was referring to the scheff.

Schefflera arboricola gets mixed reviews as far as pet safety goes. The ASPCA as well as several other pet sites, cautions their use around dogs and cats. While not being listed as highly toxic, it has been known to make animals sick. I have also read that some people have contact sensitivity issues with them.

Personally, I would hesitate using them if my animals showed any interest in munching on them. I always prune my plants outside of the cages and allow a day or two for cut ends to seal. I's cheap insurance and gives me a little peace of mind (or should I say gives my little mind some peace?).

Has anyone really had problems with this plant??? I have used it many times without any issues. Its very common here in S.FL. Its an invasive plant so it grow everywhere. For years I have collected these and used them from everything from critter enclosures to goofy looking bonsai. There fine!!! Also the ooze is called sap...... Its common for plants to "ooze" when there pruned.

I remember having read that someone here had some issues they determined were caused by arboricola. There is a reptile site in the UK that has questioned just how safe it is.

I didn't refer to the sap as "ooze", BTW. Ooze is also a verb, which is how it was used.

all wet

Steelheadchaser, not to be rude, but you're all wet about S. arboricola.

There is no evidence of veterinary issues with this species. I have a great reference library and have now done extensive research in databases in a medical library.

If you have new evidence of some incident with arboricola, publish it, or have your vet publish.

You have to be careful when going after a steelhead fisherman. They are known to withstand extremely cold temperatures and storms while also standing in one place waving around a stick whilst giving the evil eye to anyone who comes to close.

You have to be careful when going after a steelhead fisherman. They are known to withstand extremely cold temperatures and storms while also standing in one place waving around a stick whilst giving the evil eye to anyone who comes to close.

Be careful assuming.... I'm an Oregonian too, and I was fishing for steelhead in the 60's...

I also was growing plants commercially then.

Be careful assuming.... I'm an Oregonian too, and I was fishing for steelhead in the 60's...

I also was growing plants commercially then.

The 60's...wow, was it awesome fishing then?? I grew up waaay up on the Klickitat and these Oregon rivers are just packed with weekend warriors and gear heads standing shoulder to shoulder. Hardly seems like fishing...even on a boat these days. Though I did nail a million steelies on a float trip on the D a while back...not 20lb B runners but sure were fun on a 5wt Fly Rod!!

Eitherway, I was just joking with this guy. Judging from everyones experience and my own, the Ambrolica is about as good of a Cham plant as you can possibly get.

Edit: By the way I hear everyone was growing "Plants" commercially in the 60's ;) ;)

Steelheadchaser, not to be rude, but you're all wet about S. arboricola.

There is no evidence of veterinary issues with this species. I have a great reference library and have now done extensive research in databases in a medical library.

If you have new evidence of some incident with arboricola, publish it, or have your vet publish.

I have no medical journals or studies to point you towards. It was only info gleaned from the net that seemed to be credible sources rather than anecdotal evidence. I decided to err on the conservative side with my plantings. Having said that, I do use arboricola in the panther enclosures as mine don't nibble the greenery.

When I get a bit of time I will go back and try to link to some of the sources that had some reservations over arboricola.

Back
Top Bottom