Can you help me identify this plant?

The inside of my waders may have water in them, but it was put there by someone else, LOL.

Here is a quick reference to arboricola from the ASPCA:

http://www.aspca.org/Pet-care/ask-the-expert/ask-the-expert-poison-control/schefflera-plants.aspx

I will look for some of the others later.

I grew up in PDX before moving to Seattle many years ago. Steelheading is just not what it used to be. I grew up fishing the Deschutes, Kalama, East Fork and Toutle rivers with my folks and brother. Now it's the Stilly, Skagit, Sauk and Sky.

where to get wet

I mostly haunted the Nahalem and Siletz. Liked the creeks off the Columbia George too.
Nothing is like it was in the 60's; I'm glad I got to see those fish run.

FWIW, the ASPCA list is completely without any kind of citation or documentation, and when I inquired I got a "form letter" type response. I have documented my references in my post bookshelf.I mostly haunted the Nahalem and Siletz. Liked the creeks off the Columbia George too.
Nothing is like it was in the 60's; I'm glad I got to see those fish run.

FWIW, the ASPCA list is completely without any kind of citation or documentation, and when I inquired I got a "form letter" type response. I have documented my references in my post bookshelf.

S. arboricola is absolutely everywhere in California, Florida, and Hawaii. If it presented dangers there would be reports of it from these populous states, but it does not show up as a cause of emergencies in the veterinary literature. The toxins in this group of plants are well-understood and easily found. Anyone could do a quantification if there we histories of problems, but there aren't any.

My parents fished for salmon on the Nehalem for many years before I was even born. I got to fish the lower Nehalem a few times before we moved north. I can remember when Lincoln City was only a wide spot in the road with some beach cabins for rent. Most of the time we stayed in Wheeler.

Anyhow, just to show you that I wasn't just pulling this stuff from my nether regions, the following are a few other places I had read about problems associated arboricola. I did not list any of the sites that referenced the ASPCA as their source. One of the links is to a book you list in your own reference library, BTW. ;)

http://www.mellobonsai.com/care/Hawaiian-umbrella-bonsai.aspx

"Poisonous Plants of North Carolina," Dr. Alice B. Russell, Department of Horticultural Science; Dr. James W. Hardin, Botany; Dr. Larry Grand, Plant Pathology; and Dr. Angela Fraser, Family and Consumer Sciences; North Carolina State University.

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/consumer/poison/Schefsp.htm

"Poisonous Plants: A Handbook Doctors, Pharmacists, Toxicologists, Biologists and Veterinarians, 2d ed."
by Dietrich Frohne and Hans Jürgen Pfänder See pages 76 and 77.

http://books.google.com/books?id=gC...esnum=3&ved=0CCQQ6AEwAjgK#v=onepage&q&f=false

University of Illinois;
http://web.extension.illinois.edu/state/newsdetail.cfm?NewsID=16146

nether regions

Anyhow, just to show you that I wasn't just pulling this stuff from my nether regions, the following are a few other places I had read about problems associated arboricola. I did not list any of the sites that referenced the ASPCA as their source. One of the links is to a book you list in your own reference library, BTW. ;)

"Poisonous Plants: A Handbook Doctors, Pharmacists, Toxicologists, Biologists and Veterinarians, 2d ed."
by Dietrich Frohne and Hans Jürgen Pfänder See pages 76 and 77

I'm afraid you have not read the reference you cited: "Reports of poisoning after ingestion are rare". The authors then cite a case of a dog from 1975 that ate S. actinophylla.

Is there anything else in your fertile nether regions on S. arboricola?

Rare, maybe, yet not unknown or non existent. It is after all
separator.gif
included in a book called "Poisonous Plants: ..."

There were the other citations which you have ignored. As well as the position of the ASPCA which you dismiss in it's entirety.

It seems as though you have become more interested in belittling me rather than discussing my original point, which was "better safe then sorry" with the handling of arboricola.

science

Rare, maybe, yet not unknown or non existent. It is after all
separator.gif
included in a book called "Poisonous Plants: ..."

There were the other citations which you have ignored. As well as the position of the ASPCA which you dismiss in it's entirety.

It seems as though you have become more interested in belittling me rather than discussing my original point, which was "better safe then sorry" with the handling of arboricola.

I apologize if my small joke was taken personally. Let's stick to the science.

Please recognize that I have done extensive research on this topic. I did not "ignore" the other citations; they are not relevant to the question of S. arboricola, as they refer to other species, or the ingestion did not result in poisoning. The incidents of human greenhouse workers developing allergies, is likewise, not relevant to animal environments.

A scientist would not ignore the logic of the fact that this widely used plant species (S. arboricola) does not generate any verifiable reports of poisoning.

In all seriousness, you seem not to understand how science is moved forward. If you have some evidence to introduce to the discussion, I'm eager to investigate it, and my mind remains open to change.

Back
Top Bottom