Can you help me identify this? And is it harmful?

Mookachu

Hello,

I am a fairly new chameleon owner and I've had Hunter for about a year now. I just bought him a brand new live ficus tree about 3-4 months ago and recently I started noticing these weird centipede/millipede like bugs crawling around the the soil. They usually come out at night and I've noticed that they only eat dead crickets/fallen leaves.

Can anyone help me ID this bug / advise on what I should do?
any help would be greatly appreciated!

2015-03-31 17.08.16.jpg

Thank You!

Hello,

I am a fairly new chameleon owner and I've had Hunter for about a year now. I just bought him a brand new live ficus tree about 3-4 months ago and recently I started noticing these weird centipede/millipede like bugs crawling around the the soil. They usually come out at night and I've noticed that they only eat dead crickets/fallen leaves.

Can anyone help me ID this bug / advise on what I should do?
any help would be greatly appreciated!

View attachment 107363

Thank You!

I'm no bug expert but they do look like a small species of centipede. I think most centipedes have a toxic bite so I'd probably change out the potting soil to get rid of any remaining eggs and larvae just to be safe.

When dealing with live plants, it is recommended that you re-pot and rinse the leaves of any pesticides or bugs that may be lingering around. It is safer for your cham and decreases your odds of an infestation. Although, I find it difficult to rid of them completely. I always see a few, but nothing too crazy :D

If it were in an aquarium I would say it was a Fire worm.

Its definitely nothing I would want my Cham to get ahold of. Or visa versa.

Back
Top Bottom