Can you help ID this for me?

crybloodytrs

Someone was trying to give them to a pet store that doesnt have experience with any types of chameleons and they were just going to give them a try without researching them. This is a bad idea. Chameleons are extremel fragile and delicate animals. I gave them $5 a piece and took them home. I will research and care for them as best as possible. Any help or links to it will be greatly appreciated. The guy selling them said they were some type of pygmy, but theyre 10 days old and this big so it makes me think they will be one of a bigger size, Ive also heard they look like baby panthers as well as two stripe/side stripe chameleon. Plus, like I said, he didnt know what he was talkng about. Im not sure though. Thats why I asked you. Please help ASAP.

pygmycham-1.jpg

pygmycham1.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Mark

PS. theyre eating good on pinhead crickets as of now.

Looks more like baby Rudis chameleons to me, but I'm no expert. I know that they're livebearing though, so the person who had them probably had no idea their chameleon was even gravid.

Chamaeleo trioceros rudis or Rough Chameleon.

They are considered a montane chameleon. I keep mine with a basking spot of 80F (max) with humidity of 80-100%. These stats critical for their survival. Hotter temperatures will prove lethal to them. The rudis are not fussy eaters generally so FF's and appropriate sized crickets are readily accepted. Mist frequently. They can be raised in a group if plenty cover and food is available.

Good luck with them.

As of now, I just got them 2 days ago and theyre in a 10 gal aquarium. I plan to go out and get an exo terra screen cage tomorrow, but I wanted to find out which kind they were. And they are live bearers. I forgot to add that. I know they are becuase that was the guy's story. He didnt know she was gravid then they just "popped out". So, he sold them.

Mark

Dang... I keep striking out on these...

If it is a question about ID...
:eek:<---------Don't listen to this guy...Let me throw out my random guesses, and one of these times i will be right and feel better about myself;)

These are rudis babies! I don't use a heat source with my babies, but keep them at about 74-76 (room temp), but keep the humidity high. You can use a cool mist humidifer to add extra humidity. Be sure to mist frequently too, but don't let the water stand on the bottom of the tank or you could have a bacteria problem. Mine are just over 3 months now and I still have them in a 10 gallon aquarium and will move them to a open air cage at about 4 mos. They are eating 3 week old crickets and fruit flies. Be sure to use a live (nontoxic) plant in their habitat to up the humidity! They will only grow to 4 - 7 inches in length. Good Luck!

How rare are these babies? I hear that they are one of the rarer to find in the pet trade, which doesnt really matter to me (as to why I got them, not how I care for them), but Id still like to know.

Mark

How rare are these babies? I hear that they are one of the rarer to find in the pet trade, which doesnt really matter to me (as to why I got them, not how I care for them), but Id still like to know.

Mark

I wouldn't call them rare rare... they certainly aren't as prolific or popular as the ubiquitous pardalis and calyptratus but I am seeing more and more of the rudis in private collections.

Do make a search for past posts on the rudis. I know I've written at length about them (and their related brethren) and several other members do work with the species as well. I know you will glean some good help and information on your news pets from those threads.

Good luck with them and keep us posted on their progress.
Cheers,
t

one of my friends has a few of these and according to him they are really rough to keep alive between 1-3 months so make sure you keep the humidity up. Great steal on those chams though, they look really cool and 5 dollars a piece is definitely worth it. :)

one of my friends has a few of these and according to him they are really rough to keep alive between 1-3 months so make sure you keep the humidity up. Great steal on those chams though, they look really cool and 5 dollars a piece is definitely worth it. :)

I would say 1-3 months are is a littler early more like 1-6 months. Around the 7 month you are usually in the clear. Some montanes that seem perfectly healthy will just seem to die around the 5-6 month mark. Well with my experience with them.

Ok, I bought a screen cage that is 12x18x20. They are still babies so i figures this would be a good size. Is this to big/small for them? Also, can they be kept in this group scene for a while? Or do they have to be separated?

Mark.

Ok, I bought a screen cage that is 12x18x20. They are still babies so i figures this would be a good size. Is this to big/small for them? Also, can they be kept in this group scene for a while? Or do they have to be separated?

Mark.

That cage should be fine. Rudis Chameleons are one of the few that can be kept together under the Right conditions. you need to provide room and coverage for them. They sometimes group up to go to sleep.

Ok, so even at their size, theyll be okay? Cant be too careful. Also, would misting the cage be good enough as far as watering them goes? I thought that a waterfall feature would be too heavy of a drop and the dripper would be hard for them to see where as they will walk across and find water if I mist. Whatever I have to do, I will. And by the questions it sounds as if Im unexperienced with chameleons, I am not. I just have never kept ones so young and such a fragile species. Thanks in advance.

Mark

Ok, so even at their size, theyll be okay? Cant be too careful. Also, would misting the cage be good enough as far as watering them goes? I thought that a waterfall feature would be too heavy of a drop and the dripper would be hard for them to see where as they will walk across and find water if I mist. Whatever I have to do, I will. And by the questions it sounds as if Im unexperienced with chameleons, I am not. I just have never kept ones so young and such a fragile species. Thanks in advance.

Mark

They should be able to get around fine in that cage. Provide them with lots of sticks and vines and plants to climb around on.

The misting of the cage is the main source of water but a dripper IMO would be good. If you have it run all day and drip on the leaves of the plants they will see it and drink. It is a good source of hydration in between mistings. A really really slow drip would be best. The will see the reflection from the water and the drops dripping down.

When you mist use hot water and mist everything while trying to avoid misting the little guys directly.

Alright, with the dripper, I got an idea. Does anyone have a list of non-toxic plants for my newly acquired friends? I was going to use the "little dripper" and ave them drip on a plant leaf then fall into the soil of the plant to help with the surplus water. My grandfather had this kind of a thing with his veiled and it worked out great. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Mark

Alright, with the dripper, I got an idea. Does anyone have a list of non-toxic plants for my newly acquired friends? I was going to use the "little dripper" and ave them drip on a plant leaf then fall into the soil of the plant to help with the surplus water. My grandfather had this kind of a thing with his veiled and it worked out great. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Mark

That will work out perfectly.

Here is a list of plants - The first four are the most commonly used on this site

https://www.chameleonforums.com/plants/

The hibiscus says its hard to keep in captivity and the rest of them say they could be toxic. Tell me if Im getting something wrong here, but are there any 100% safe plants? The toxic is mild, but they are also tiny little critters. Im guessing that mildly toxic to them is like deadly to say panthers. I could be thinking backwards here. Im guessing the hibiscus wouldnt live under the Reptisun 5% UVB light would they? And while were on the subject of lighting. Heat lamps are strictly off limits correct? Also, I got some pictures uploaded today. The first one was the day we got them. They were eating fruit flies pretty well. I know you see them do this every day, but I thought it was neat to see them on "film", per say. Even though it was digital lol. Well the second one is today, a few minutes ago. They seem to have developed a pattern. Is this a good sign?

101E3870.jpg

101E3875.jpg

Mark

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom