can you guys do a quick husbandry check for me

bruce the cham

Avid Member
Date: 4/28/2022

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - veiled chameleon male 9-10 months old i think i made a thread about how old he might be help would be great had him for about almost 5 months
  • Handling - twice a week and once a week to take him outside and once to let my friends hold him or look at him he is ok when he is out sometimes while i'm reading i let him free roam around my room and he clubs all the way up to the top of my shelf where he watches from above
  • Feeding - i do 10-12 crickets every other day and 1-2 superworms with it i also sometimes use black soldier fly larvae and right now am trying to get my hand on some silkworms
  • Supplements - i use calcium no d3 no phosphorus every feeding except one of them each week on that day i alternate between calcium with d3 and a multivitamin
  • Watering - i have a automatic mister right when lights turn on and right when lights lights turn off for about 2minute i see him drink every morning he is not a shy drinker i also have a homemade dripper
  • Fecal Description - he has never been tested but it is very creamy the urate is a creamy white with a little orange but lately he has had pure white urate is that something to be concerned about
  • History - i don't know i got him from predator reptiles they were being taken care of extremely well and were using all the right supplements lighting and real plants plus very good looking and healthy chams they showed me pics of the parents

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - reptibreeze 2x2x4 mesh
  • Lighting - repti sun T5 linear bulb 5.0 reptisun lights on at 8 lights off at 8
  • Temperature - basking spot 85 degrees fahrenheit lower down 70s at night 60s i use a heat gun
  • Humidity - 38-40 i have a clear shower curtain around the cage at night 73-and above i use a digital hygrometer
  • Plants - all live i have a bamboo ,hibiscus ,gardenia ,golden pothos,and one other big plant i forgot its name but safe for chams he loves munching the flowers
  • Placement - it is in my room no high traffic not a lot off people in it mainly me or a friend when we are in their we usually just watch him from a distance we made a 2 foot stand so his highest spot is 6 feet
  • Location - queen creek arizona

Current Problem - none he suffered a little to much uvb exposure wich was my fault but i fixed it his cask is a little wonky from it but otherwise he is fine now

hibiscus normally needs a sansi LED grow light. Or a "stunt" hibiscus and you just rotate them in and out of the cage every few months.

Other than that, the only problem i have seen with bedroom setups is lights on past the time the cage lights are off. Normally they goto the sleeping stick a few hours before lights out. And some have a problem of walking around in the dark if say a tv/monitor is left on past lights out. I also have a bedroom setup, but i only sleep in my room, i dont "live" in it, dont even have a bedroom tv.

i am confused my lights are never on when his lights are off

Then you are good. Some people have the cham lights turn off at 8pm, but then stay up to 10-midnight watching tv or just having other room lights on in general.

Ive had issues to the point where the cham lights would turn off, and there would be plenty of light in the room that he could see his reflection in the chamlights hood, and would sit there and puff.

Then you are good. Some people have the cham lights turn off at 8pm, but then stay up to 10-midnight watching tv or just having other room lights on in general.

Ive had issues to the point where the cham lights would turn off, and there would be plenty of light in the room that he could see his reflection in the chamlights hood, and would sit there and puff.
i shut my door and dont go in my room till i go to bed

k thanks is that all
I do not see anything else that is questionable. In the next few months you will need to start reducing feeders so that once he is 12 months old he is only getting 4-5 feeders every other day. Watching his weight this may need to be reduced further as he moves passed the 12 month mark.

I do not see anything else that is questionable. In the next few months you will need to start reducing feeders so that once he is 12 months old he is only getting 4-5 feeders every other day. Watching his weight this may need to be reduced further as he moves passed the 12 month mark.
k thanks

hibiscus normally needs a sansi LED grow light. Or a "stunt" hibiscus and you just rotate them in and out of the cage every few months.

Other than that, the only problem i have seen with bedroom setups is lights on past the time the cage lights are off. Normally they goto the sleeping stick a few hours before lights out. And some have a problem of walking around in the dark if say a tv/monitor is left on past lights out. I also have a bedroom setup, but i only sleep in my room, i dont "live" in it, dont even have a bedroom tv.
Why do you rotate your hibiscus out ?

Back
Top Bottom