Can you feed

Do not feed the ghosts to your chameleons as they are rare and expensive only feed chinese or another CHEAP AND EASY TO GET mantis

I plan on keeping the Ghosts. I am gunna get 5 Chinese ooths off Ebay for like 10 bucks shipped, which I was gunna feed to them. I have other plans for the Ghosts, I think they are really pretty.

I have a male and female ghost. They're one of the most beautiful insects on the planet, in my opinion.

Almost adults!

So when they mate your gonna hook me up with some ooths right LOL. I want some so bad a guy was gonna sell two ghost ooths spiny flower ooth and some walking stick eggs for 30$ plus shipping from Germany but with him being from germany I was weary about ordering so i never did

Here are the containers i use and have built to house the chinese mantis I can sell some if wanted plz pm me if interested i am not sure what the blue marks are must be my camera They have a screened lid that allows grip and ventilation and includes bamboo skewers and screen on side for prey to climb up. There is a pic of the adult container the nymph container the ooth container and the lid and of course my sub adult chinese mantis

Last edited:
Do not feed the ghosts to your chameleons as they are rare and expensive only feed chinese or another CHEAP AND EASY TO GET mantis

Chameleons love ghost mantids! They are from Madagascar.
After your ghosts reach their last instar and mate, the males are on borrowed time (they will die soon after copulation) this is the time to feed them to your chameleon.

-Brad

where can i get small mantids (as feeder and as pet) within driving range of Los Angeles?

Chameleons love ghost mantids! They are from Madagascar.
After your ghosts reach their last instar and mate, the males are on borrowed time (they will die soon after copulation) this is the time to feed them to your chameleon.

-Brad

Holy smokes Brad! Ok this is where we part ways drastically. Adult ghost mantids go for $60 EACH!

For 60 bucks! I think I'd rather buy new gear for my camera then see my chams yum face.

Also, I don't think that's true about the males dieing after copulation. Have you experienced this?

Holy smokes Brad! Ok this is where we part ways drastically. Adult ghost mantids go for $60 EACH!

For 60 bucks! I think I'd rather buy new gear for my camera then see my chams yum face.

Also, I don't think that's true about the males dieing after copulation. Have you experienced this?

Ha!
A nice dinner out!
The males will die shortly after "hooking up" with a female.
Unless you want to preserve the mantis (mount it ) it might as well go to your chameleon.
My experience with ghost mantids has been far less expensive. I don't have any currently, but last summer I had about 75. I sold mine for a lot less than $60! I guess I should have checked market price:eek:.
My ghost ooths were all given to me by Roo.

-Brad

Incidentally: Ghosts are one of the few mantis species that can be kept in a community without much fear of them eating each other.

I saw on a show recently that cockroaches are very closly related to mantids

That's the only reason I can deal with breeding roaches; because they are the flatter cousins of one of the worlds coolest insects.

When I kept pygmies I would collect a few ooths each winter (living in Maryland has it's advantages) and stick them in the brev enclosure. When one of the ooths hatched I didn't have to feed my brevs for a week. :D
I've tried to breed mantids once, but I don't really have the zen of insects.

Back
Top Bottom