Can UVB Burn?

Jeeleon

Hey guys!
Just a small concern. My new 3-month ambilobe likes to hang upside down in his cage right under the reptisun 5.0 light bulb. THe bulb has a hood and everything, but I'm concerned that this could burn him. He'll just hang right under the light for long periods of time. SHould I be concerned? ANy input would help. Thanks ahead of time.

Not to hijack this thread. But I'm in the process of setting up an enclosure for my chameleon and had the same concern but regarding the basking spot lamp. Is that ever an issue?

Do you mean a thermal burn (due to high temperature) or a sunburn (due to high UV exposure)? An extra few inches might not be a bad idea, but I wouldn't worry terribly either way....

Not to hijack this thread. But I'm in the process of setting up an enclosure for my chameleon and had the same concern but regarding the basking spot lamp. Is that ever an issue?

The basking light will burn and should be 6 to 8 inches away from your cham at all times.

The basking light will burn and should be 6 to 8 inches away from your cham at all times.

Jannb,

I'm just researching my setup and I was wondering how you protect a chameleon against thermal burn from the basking light if he climbs upside down on the roof under the basking light? Or do they usually not do this?

Hey guys thanks for the comments.
My basking light is elevated by a lamp stand and has a dimmer, so im not worried about that. The reptisun 5.0 is attached to a hood that sits directly on top of the cage. Its what gives the UVB rays. How could I elevate that whole fixture? And it doesn't get as hot as a basking bulb of course, so I'm guessing it won't burn him? I just want to be safe though...

Hey guys thanks for the comments.
My basking light is elevated by a lamp stand and has a dimmer, so im not worried about that. The reptisun 5.0 is attached to a hood that sits directly on top of the cage. Its what gives the UVB rays. How could I elevate that whole fixture? And it doesn't get as hot as a basking bulb of course, so I'm guessing it won't burn him? I just want to be safe though...

I free range but I use a wood stand to hang my lights above the FR trees or hang them from the ceiling.

EllysnewFR.jpg

Ellysnewfreerange122810003.jpg

Back
Top Bottom