Can u over KILL w/ Lights??

garcia031

:confused: :eek:

I have a 4x2x2 screen enclosure, but i currently have a reptisun 150watt bulb and a 24" reptiglo 5.0 on my Panther. i was thinking of getting a plant Light, but just wanted to know if too much light is bad. Thank you in advance

yeah you can cook a cham with heat from all the lights :)

I dunno anything about that 150w light i guess thats ur heat light?

Anyways I have a basking light (40w light bulb), uvb and a 6500k grow light on all of my enclosures

Is it just me or does a 150 watt bulb sound like it is way too strong?

depends. i need them for keeping a very large FR. if this person doesn't have there chameleon in a cage or it has a very large cage then there's no problems. if you lift the light accordingly there's also no problem. keep and eye on your temps. you could add a grow light just make sure there's a little area where he/she can get away from t all if it become overwhelming.

yeah you can cook a cham with heat from all the lights :)

I dunno anything about that 150w light i guess thats ur heat light?

Anyways I have a basking light (40w light bulb), uvb and a 6500k grow light on all of my enclosures

You can cook a cham if his 150w is to close but the uvb and 6500k put out a tiny amount of heat so adding a 6500k wouldn't make any temp difference, or just a tiny increase.

yeah i was commenting on the 150w light in a 2x2x4 enclosure. That is a awful big bulb and unless they keep the AC blasting in CAli I do not understand the need for that bulb in that enclosure.

i have 24x24x36 and i use 75 watts

so ya if you are using that high make sure the bulb is far enough away to not cook him.

A chameleon WILL cook itself it cant feel that its burning itself like humans can

Thank you all for the comments. I have a 150 watt reptisun about 8 to 10 " away. where his basking temp ranges from 82 -85, i also have a reptiglo(UVB bulb), but i was curious as to adding a plant light. His enclosure is in front of a window so that he gets sun and fresh air when needed. But temp wise the enclosure is finen he has plenty of space where to roam.

i have the exact same cage and lighting! wow. i bought the 100 watt bulb and it didn't heat most anything unless you were right under it which was pretty bad. i just bought a 150 bulb and I'm sure that the temps. will turn out to be much better:) i think that both of us will be fine as long as the dome is a elevated a bit off the cage so it doesn't start a fire or cook the chameleon:)

Let's be clear, the basking bulb's purpose is not to heat the environment, it's to provide a basking spot that a chameleon can go to and from. In the winter I use a 75w and in the summer I switch to a 60w. Really depends on your climate.

General lighting (not basking heat production) is hard to overdo unless you have a very young cham or a montane species such as a jackson's. They may be overwhelmed by very intense UV lights. Some CF bulbs have a history of causing some eye problems so you should always provide areas where the cham can get away from the most intense light.

Back
Top Bottom