can i use this?

c2c

I was wondering if i could use reptibark for the bottom of my enclosure. or someother type of substrate. Im just trying to make it easy to clean up my chameleons poop

I was wondering if i could use reptibark for the bottom of my enclosure. or someother type of substrate. Im just trying to make it easy to clean up my chameleons poop

Sure. To minimize the chance of substrate ingestion, make sure you tweezer feed or cup feed your chameleon, but it shouldn't be an issue.

-Jen

Most of us do not use or do we recommend substrate. If for and reason your cham did ingest it, they could be impacted. It is a lot easier to remove poop daily with a paper towel. jmo

It is super easy to just wipe it up off the bottom of the bare enclosure floor. Paper towel gets really wet and needs to be taken out everyday so it doesn't mold. That gets really old really fast, plus it is a waste of paper towel IMO. :D

I actually think paper towels on the floor are a horrible idea. Those things don't dissolve in water - my dog as a puppy would eat whole sheets of it that we'd used to dab bacon with out of the trash and she would poop them out INTACT lol. I think when compared to something like organic soil, paper towels are way worse. But when it comes to ease of cleaning, nothing compares to just a bare cage floor. Especially with the amount of water that we use with the chameleons, it's just so much easier to not have anything that stays wet for any amount of time.

Sure. To minimize the chance of substrate ingestion, make sure you tweezer feed or cup feed your chameleon, but it shouldn't be an issue.

-Jen

Im building a tub to feed them with.

I just put paper towels down. It works and the crickets pretty much cant hide :)

how do you deal with all of the water? I spray down my enclosure and use over 1/4 of a gallon

It is super easy to just wipe it up off the bottom of the bare enclosure floor. Paper towel gets really wet and needs to be taken out everyday so it doesn't mold. That gets really old really fast, plus it is a waste of paper towel IMO. :D
is your bottom plastic?

I actually think paper towels on the floor are a horrible idea. Those things don't dissolve in water - my dog as a puppy would eat whole sheets of it that we'd used to dab bacon with out of the trash and she would poop them out INTACT lol. I think when compared to something like organic soil, paper towels are way worse. But when it comes to ease of cleaning, nothing compares to just a bare cage floor. Especially with the amount of water that we use with the chameleons, it's just so much easier to not have anything that stays wet for any amount of time.

my bottom is painted wood so poop tends to stick. i was thinking the reptibark would look "natural" while making it easy to pick up the poop and add drainage. to change it i can use a shop vac. just an idea though

Hmmm, what about river rocks? They sell them at dollar stores for next to nothing and they look nice while being easy to wipe clean. And there's no way anyone can get one in their mouth lol OR, go to a home improvement store and have them custom cut you a stone tile you like to put on the bottom. It'll be super easy to wipe clean and will look really nice.

Kruiser was outside FR the other day(it was 86' here!) he climbed down from the tree, and in the grass(not visible to my eye) he took a swipe at a rock that was about an inch in circumference!.
Luckily it was too heavy for him a pick up more than about an inch, but still, it was amazing to see how powerful their tongues are and indiscriminate at what they will try to eat. :p

just a thought when looking for substrate
anne

I've asked my local home depot and they dont cut tile

Do you have a Lowes? I think Lowes cuts tile and plexi-glass, not Home Depot.

I use aquarium backgrounds for the bottoms of my cages on top of chicken wire. With a couple of holes cut in them and something underneath to catch the water, they clean up really easily. I've only had to replace one so far and it was really only because I found one with a nicer looking picture that I wanted to use. Can you drill any holes in the bottom?

What about just using a piece of plexyglass/pvc for the bottom?
I could probably do that but i would have to have a 4in hole drilled in the bottom

Kruiser was outside FR the other day(it was 86' here!) he climbed down from the tree, and in the grass(not visible to my eye) he took a swipe at a rock that was about an inch in circumference!.
Luckily it was too heavy for him a pick up more than about an inch, but still, it was amazing to see how powerful their tongues are and indiscriminate at what they will try to eat. :p

just a thought when looking for substrate
anne

how do they grab food. is their tounge sticky or does it "pinch" the food item?

If you want long term pet dont go with that substrate....
which substrate and why?
my chameleons dont go down past the top 2 feet of the cage

Do you have a Lowes? I think Lowes cuts tile and plexi-glass, not Home Depot.

I use aquarium backgrounds for the bottoms of my cages on top of chicken wire. With a couple of holes cut in them and something underneath to catch the water, they clean up really easily. I've only had to replace one so far and it was really only because I found one with a nicer looking picture that I wanted to use. Can you drill any holes in the bottom?

Yea but they are are kind of out of the way. i might have to if i go with plexi
I work at an aquarium store. so that might be easier.

Back
Top Bottom