Can I use reptile cleaner on

Lindasjackson

Chameleon Enthusiast
Can I use the reptile cleaner ( I think it’s called wipe out by zoomed or one of those companies) on the inside of Eustis’s enclosure while he’s in it? He’s so scared of me and just now starting to come out more. I don’t want to have to manually take him out of his cage again. To be honest he doesn’t even climb on his plants yet. He stays on the branches and dowels I’ve crisscrossed in his cage.
@ERKleRose

Last edited:
Not familiar with the product. What does the label say?

I just looked it up. The short answer is No.

https://zoomed.com/wipe-out-1/
Directions:
  • Remove all animals, objects (hot rocks, caves, cage furniture, food/ water dishes, etc.), and substrate from your terrarium or cage.
  • Saturate the surface of the terrarium/cage by spraying on Wipe Out and let it stand for 5 minutes. Then wipe all surfaces dry.
  • Do not return animals to the habitat until it is dry and ventilated.
  • Clean terrarium/cage at least once weekly or more as needed.

Precautionary Statements​

HAZARDS TO HUMANS AND DOMESTIC ANIMALS
CAUTION:
Causes moderate eye irritation. Harmful if swallowed; avoid contamination of foods. Avoid contact with skin, eyes, or clothing. Wash thoroughly with soap and water after handling.
PHYSICAL HAZARDS: Do not apply the product in or on electrical equipment due to the possibility of shock hazard.

Last edited:
I guess for tonight I will just clean with soap and water. My son and family are coming tomorrow. I haven’t seen him or my grandkids in 5 years!! I don’t want Eustis’s enclosure to be stinky. I don’t smell anything but my smeller doesn’t work very well due to chronic sinusitis so don’t want to take the chance.

Do you use it when & where your chameleon gets exposed to it directly?

I use Nature's Miracle, but it has similar warnings. I wait for it to dry—or wipe it dry—before letting my reptiles walk where it's been. They do taste everything.

Yup. If its rated for cleaning cutting boards and counter tops, and any place humans will prepare food. Its not much of a good cleaner, thats why i add a bit of dawn.

But i think its a lot safer vs diluted 409 or diluted bleach.

Another idea is use one of the star san variants from beer/wine brewing. Some of those have mild cleaners in them, and perfectly safe to leave in the bottle to drink from.

Then you just make a new spray bottle batch every 2-4 weeks depending on the concentration. the 128:1 is only good for two weeks, and takes like 5min to kill covid, but the 64:1 is good for a 30 days and kills in a minute.

I guess for tonight I will just clean with soap and water. My son and family are coming tomorrow. I haven’t seen him or my grandkids in 5 years!! I don’t want Eustis’s enclosure to be stinky. I don’t smell anything but my smeller doesn’t work very well due to chronic sinusitis so don’t want to take the chance.

I have a few family members that dont like the "dirt smell" of the tegue cage. Its literally outdoor topsoil with sand and some peak moss...

I just don’t want anything to stink since it’s been awhile since i cleaned it. I don’t think it does So they’ll be ok. I used to have Jackson’s chams when my son was a teenager so he knows.

Yup. If its rated for cleaning cutting boards and counter tops, and any place humans will prepare food. Its not much of a good cleaner, thats why i add a bit of dawn.

But i think its a lot safer vs diluted 409 or diluted bleach.

Another idea is use one of the star san variants from beer/wine brewing. Some of those have mild cleaners in them, and perfectly safe to leave in the bottle to drink from.

Then you just make a new spray bottle batch every 2-4 weeks depending on the concentration. the 128:1 is only good for two weeks, and takes like 5min to kill covid, but the 64:1 is good for a 30 days and kills in a minute.
FWIW, here's the Safety Data Sheet.

I just don’t want anything to stink since it’s been awhile since i cleaned it. I don’t think it does So they’ll be ok. I used to have Jackson’s chams when my son was a teenager so he knows.
If Nature's Miracle can kill bearded dragon stank (and it does, or Ol' Stinkeye & I would be living someplace else right now) it'll kill anything a chameleon can do.

Back
Top Bottom