Can I put henna on my chameleon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven’t put henna on home before, just wondering if I could??? He’s a healthy male veiled chameleon. He doesn’t mind me holding him, he likes leaving his cage some times even. so I was just thinking... can you draw a small henna design in a chameleon???? I have 100% organic henna, so I don’t think it’s toxic or anything but I’m not entirely sure. I’ve searched this before but I never found anything on this, just wondering if anyone else has thought about this

I haven’t put henna on home before, just wondering if I could??? He’s a healthy male veiled chameleon. He doesn’t mind me holding him, he likes leaving his cage some times even. so I was just thinking... can you draw a small henna design in a chameleon???? I have 100% organic henna, so I don’t think it’s toxic or anything but I’m not entirely sure. I’ve searched this before but I never found anything on this, just wondering if anyone else has thought about this
Yeah! Why not? I’m sure he’d love it about as much as your going to love that cham jaw bit pattern he’s going to tat on you!

get that on tape!

f2a09ab891b86fa30d9c350d629cb419.jpg

I’m sure that you are just spitballing ideas off folks in this forum to which you are new, testing the grounds so to speak; but from the above reactions, you’re probably realizing that there are some pretty hardcore Cham enthusiasts here. You are unlikely to receive even civil answers to this kind of query, and I’m frankly shocked that some of the above posts have been as tame as they are. Please don’t put henna on a Cham, nor pierce your cat’s ear, nor give your dog a Botox shot to remove crow’s feet.

You don’t think it’s toxic but aren’t 100% sure...why would you even risk the health and well-being of your cham for something so ridiculous? You have no idea what effect it would have on chameleon skin. Your Cham is beautiful with just the markings he hatched with and doesn’t need any more than that.

If you’re going to tattoo your chameleon then it should be done by a professional, licensed tattoo chameleon. My chameleon happens to be one and can handle this for you. His rates are reasonable usually 700 crickets for a three hour session. His calendar is booked out a ways so you may want to call and schedule some time. Here he is bench pressing some heavy vines in his viv trying to bulk up. I’ve added a picture of some of his latest work (Diamond on the leaf) for reference. Let me know.

Attachments

• CE0D24F3-C35E-4851-9032-4A4A8212B7EA.jpeg
    CE0D24F3-C35E-4851-9032-4A4A8212B7EA.jpeg
    159.8 KB · Views: 107
  • C7C5969D-2B75-49B3-9B38-34E130972B47.png
    C7C5969D-2B75-49B3-9B38-34E130972B47.png
    654.4 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
Totally don’t mean to come off as a jerk.

1. It’s a whimsical idea. I get it. But, NO. SUPER HARD NO. Non-Toxic and Organic doesn’t mean NON HARMFUL. Speaking as a paramedic, Organic compounds are some of the deadliest compounds on earth, if you study chemistry. Sure, henna is safe for a human, but your chameleon is about 1/1000th of your size. It very well could be harmful or LETHAL for him, a creature that, in the entire span of his evolution, has never once been exposed to henna. Who knows what will happen? Why risk the health and possibly the LIFE of a creature that is directly dependent on YOU to survive, for no other reason than to paint a design on a creature that is already a painting in motion and needs ZERO beautification? Nope. No reason. No.

2. Chameleons are EXTREMELY fragile animals. That’s why we spend huge $$ on fancy setups to simply keep them alive. They are cool, and sometimes tough and full of attitude, but are one of the most fragile animals on the planet. Very simple changes in PH (chemistry), atmosphere, and temperature can Damage or KILL them. QUICK. Chameleons also aren’t great at recovering from any kind of trauma. They are notorious for having weak kidneys, which are vital for filtering toxins. Even low water supply can damage their kidneys. With any kind of toxic exposure, they may suffer medical issues for a long time, or die immediately. If they get stressed out even from simply handling them when they don’t want to be handled (let alone trying to paint them with henna), they may mistrust you, for a long time. Once your chameleon mistrusts you, it’s a long journey to get that trust back, IF YOU DO. IF. Capitol IF.

3. Chameleons are already one of the most beautiful animals on the planet. Their natural colors and patterns top most other animals. I see no reason why you should put your chameleon (or yourself) at risk to paint on a human-designed design. Appreciate the cham for its natural beauty.

4. A LOT of people don’t realize that chameleons BITE, and DRAW BLOOD, very very easily. I’m a big tough guy and have never been a bleeder. I scared my chameleon one night on accident, and he TORE my thumb open, I didn’t need stitches, but it bled, A LOT. They have rows of VERY VERY sharp teeth, no matter what type of chameleon you have. They are INSECTIVORES/CARNIVORES, and their teeth are designed to SHRED tissue. If you spook them, they will respond with teeth, and you will bleed.

I’d highly recommend that you don’t, if that was a serious question. I mean no disrespect. Just DON’T, for numerous reasons. Respect the animal, appreciate the animal, care for the animal, don’t stress the animal.

If you want to paint a cool design on your chameleon, take a picture of your chameleon, pull up photoshop or sketch, and have at it. That way, you have a cool picture, and you didn’t put your chameleon at risk. Then share the picture here, and people will think it’s cool!

If you choose to ACTUALLY put henna on your chameleon against the advice of the people here that care for them and love them, I’d strongly recommend that you don’t share it with us. The feedback would NOT be positive, at all. Trust me, I’m a moderator on another forum. People don’t forget, especially on forums.

No offense intended, at all. Just a friendly but stern warning.

The point: Think of and enjoy the animal as it is, in it’s natural glory. Don’t think of how you can improve it, because you can’t.

Last edited:
Tell that to one of my cats who likes to get carried around everywhere with a pretentious look on her face. I know what you mean, but I'm sure not all animals got the obvious memo Lol

Seems like the cat has made YOU the accessory.

If you’re going to tattoo your chameleon then it should be done by a professional, licensed tattoo chameleon. My chameleon happens to be one and can handle this for you. His rates are reasonable usually 700 crickets for a three hour session. His calendar is booked out a ways so you may want to call and schedule some time. Here he is bench pressing some heavy vines in his viv trying to bulk up. I’ve added a picture of some of his latest work (Diamond on the leaf) for reference. Let me know.

Ah yes. I have a few of his tattoos

Stop wondering. Just say NO. Health issues aside, why would you think a cham would WANT to be painted with anything? You are projecting YOUR personal (and IMHO selfish) desires onto an animal that won't and can't appreciate them and you are doing it for your own pleasure. Not a humane thing to do to a creature that is dependent on you. Can't even imagine considering such a thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom