Can I feed my jacksons a grasshopper?

Chameleonbeeb

I found a big grasshopper in my backyard and thought it would be a tasty snack for my new jacksons chameleon. Is it ok to feed to him ? And it's pretty big does size matter ?

SIZE DOES MATTER!
Also, the grasshopper could have been exposed to pesticides (if it is wild).
I would be careful to give my chameleon insects I do not know where they've been and what they have been eating.

Nothing wrong with feeding wc bugs. But if you choose to do so I wouldnt feed anything I caught in my yard or a residential setting. Go to a nature preserve or a field out in the country some place near you. Fertilizers and pesticides are a problem in residential areas and you dont want your cham to eat a bug that has come into contact with those. Also do some research and learn what is safe to catch and feed. I feed mainly grasshoppers, katydids, dragonflies, mantis, & moths. If i cant ID it I release it. Thats why i dont mess with butterflies very much. Most moths are safe, some butterflies are toxic.

Nothing wrong with feeding wc bugs. But if you choose to do so I wouldnt feed anything I caught in my yard or a residential setting. Go to a nature preserve or a field out in the country some place near you. Fertilizers and pesticides are a problem in residential areas and you dont want your cham to eat a bug that has come into contact with those. Also do some research and learn what is safe to catch and feed. I feed mainly grasshoppers, katydids, dragonflies, mantis, & moths. If i cant ID it I release it. Thats why i dont mess with butterflies very much. Most moths are safe, some butterflies are toxic.

I completely agree with Texas Panther Man.
I live in a city that uses all kinds of chemicals on their garden plants. So I would not risk feeding my chams anything found around here. If I went to the country, well, that is a different story. :)

Back
Top Bottom