Can I feed him some egg?

Tyaeda

Established Member
The guy who used to supply crickets to all of the local stores has gone out of business. It's cold outside so shipping from long distances might be a problem. Until I can find a new supplier or breed some myself, I was wondering if it were safe to feed my adult cham a little bit of scrambled egg? I don't have access to dubia or any other live feeders right now either.

I worry egg might have too much protein. You don't want to set your little guy up for gout or other problems. How about superworms? Even mealworms would work to tide you over. Have you checked fishing bait shops? All the ones around here sell a variety of worms, crickets, and other bugs. Maybe another cham keeper in Canada could set you up with a breeding start-up colony for dubia? I'm sure we have some members in Toronto, that's not too far.

You could try some veggies they will eat some of those usually. But he is mainly a insectivore, and you need to get him some insects ASAP. Does he really eat eggs?

Most online suppliers of crickets/feeders give you the option of adding a heat pad to the package, so shipping in cold weather shouldn't be an issue.

I'm in Canada, and I ship from Recorp all year long. I've never had an issue with ordering from them. I've shipped crickets as low as -30 and they made it here just fine, and it's a much longer trip for them to where I am than to where you are! You could also look at starting a silkworm and/or superworm colony, to tide you over for the ultra-cold weeks (-30 and below).

Also, try your local herp group or rescue- they may have additional suppliers near by, or their own feeder colonies they might let you purchase from. Reptile Kingdom, Niagara Reptile and London Reptile wouldn't be too far away, right? I haven't been there for many years so I can't speak as to their quality, but it can't hurt to ask. All those places have plenty of reptiles they need to feed themselves- you could always ask what they are feeding.

What kind of Chameleon do you have? If it's a Veiled you can feed him/her veggies like dark green vegetable leaves, blueberries, strawberries, bell pepper, etc...

Back
Top Bottom