Can hornworms bite?

So I fed my cham a nice sized hornworm today and after he shot it and brought it back to his mouth he started thrashing around and freaked out. He completely swallowed the worm then stuck his head up in the air, to help with digesting I'm assuming. Now, about an hour later it looks like my cham has a black eye. Instead of his terret being red the lower half looks grey and sunken in a little.

So did the hornworm poke my cham with his horn or did it somehow manage to bite him? I also was going to give him a silkworm but after what happened with the hornworm he immediately saw it as a threat and started gaping even though he's been loving worms for the past few days. I've got a pic i'll post in a sec

The horn is soft, so not likely to cause any harm, but they can bite. I have been bitten by them a few times, it isn't a strong bite but is startling.

I fed one to my panther once, he shot the butt end of the worm and as he started trying to swallow it he dropped it. I picked it up to offer it to him again and the farm thing bit the crap out of me, scared me more than anything but it did smart! I flushed that worm!!!

Here's what his eye looks like

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 274
Back
Top Bottom