Can Chameleons Swim????

Jordan

I have heard they can float but only for as long as they can hold their breath. I am not sure I would call that swimming.

roo_71

I just tossed a bunch of pygmies in the bath tub and they did this remarkable synchronized swimming bit.

Sorry … couldn’t resist. :rolleyes:

-roo

jesseesperto

I have heard they can float but only for as long as they can hold their breath. I am not sure I would call that swimming.
I was going to make a joke about this quote first...i agree jordan..def not swimming..lol

I just tossed a bunch of pygmies in the bath tub and they did this remarkable synchronized swimming bit.

Sorry … couldn’t resist. :rolleyes:

-roo
And then I read roos post and just lost it...:D

But if I was to make an educated guess..I would say I dont think so..there legs and feet are not really adapted for swimming. They only like to be on branches. The salt water Iguana(did I spell that right)..has webs in its feet..I def dont think they can swim..but what do I know..im just taking a guess..:)

Chris Anderson

Dr. House of Chameleons
Staff member
Actually, yes, some can. Calumma hilleniusi is known to actively cross streams while hunting. There are photos of them swimming in Necas' book as well as a pic of one feeding while partially submerged in the water. Also, consider this photo:

Its an unusual behavior and not many species are known to do it but a couple do...

Chris

Chamgirl

My late Fischer chameleon swam once. He was dehydrated so I put him in a shallow bath of water and he actually swam. I have not tried this with any of my other chameleons and it was a one off.

kinyonga

Chameleon Enthusiast
Chris...I'm glad you posted that. I was looking for it and couldn't find where I have read it....and I couldn't remember which species it was either.

I can never find that bit of info in the Necas book even though I KNOW its in there. Though I don't remember it actually talking about swimming outright, I had thought it spoke of attempting to cross waterways. Can anyone give a page #?

Chris Anderson

Dr. House of Chameleons
Staff member
Will,

Its mentioned in a photo blurb on page 288 in the second edition. It doesn't discuss the stroke they use but the photo is fairly evident that some form of swimming occurs.

Chris

roo_71

Well I learned something new … I had to do a double take on that pic. It looked like a cham sitting on a rock … BFD … then I realized it was under water.

-roo

Top Bottom