Can Chameleons eat bees?

Chris.rosa

I took my adult male panther chameleon out today to enjoy the sun as it is has been very nice here lately. I put him on his umbrella plant as I usually do, a bee flew near his plant and he saw it as food and ate it right out of the air. Is this a health concern for the chameleon or is this something they normally eat in the wild?

Right, they seem to go nuts over bee's and bumble bees. Now I'm not saying a bumble bee is good for a small cham. But the Veileds, Panthers, Oustalet's, Mellers, Parsons gobble em up

I also think that it might just be the best feeder for them. Yes they love dubias, crickets, moths, worms. But the nutritional value in the bees is superb.

Yeah I used to wonder the same thing. I've noticed some chams get em so quick the bee doesn't have time to release the toxins through the sting. And some chams grab em just right every time and bites the stinger off so that it falls to the ground before they chew it and swallow it. Then again some chams like my last veiled always ate stinger and all. Very intriguing.

What makes bees better than the others? Not that I disagree, mine loved bees and I'm sure they're very nutritious, but so are mostly any insects.
A wild bee harvests, processes, and feeds off pollen from a variety of flowers in its environment so it is likely more nutritious than a cricket or Dubia roach right out of the bag from Petco. However, feeders raised in captivity and fed a nutritious diet (with variety) can be just as nutritious as a wild caught bee. I give mine a few bees once in a while but make sure to remove stingers on honeybees. Yum!

Yeah I used to wonder the same thing. I've noticed some chams get em so quick the bee doesn't have time to release the toxins through the sting. And some chams grab em just right every time and bites the stinger off so that it falls to the ground before they chew it and swallow it. Then again some chams like my last veiled always ate stinger and all. Very intriguing.
I sit there like a sadistic nut and pull the stinger out with tweezers.

Can't never be to safe when it comes to caring for our little buddies.
My panther got stung by a bee twice. He was fine. He didn't even show signs of discomfort. He wanted to go out and explore and his tongue look normal just with a little pimple on the side. My veiled eats bees often and never got stung. No need to take it out!
I’m trying to avoid a potential emergency vet visit. I don’t know if chameleons are immune to bee venom but regardless, the sting must be very painful.

I have never fed my cham a bee. how do I feed them to my cham. Can you just by them or do you get them from the wild.
You can catch bumblebees easily in Spring and Summer. I don’t do it too often because they are very important pollinators.

Attachments

• 3E8DACD0-DD75-43C9-B348-E9EB9D951D92.jpeg
    3E8DACD0-DD75-43C9-B348-E9EB9D951D92.jpeg
    100.7 KB · Views: 72
Back
Top Bottom