Can Chameleons be kept with other lizards or geckos?

Chameleons will eat other lizards if possible and a lot of them will undergo a lot of stress living in a cage with other lizards close by. I wouldn't suggest it. Besides the living conditions of a chameleon are different than other typical lizards.

All things are possible though. If you really wanted this setup you'd need something gigantic. You'd be suprised at how many species can live together if the right size habitat is provided and the line of sight can be easily broken. That's not to say they might not eventually encounter each other with drastic consequences though.

Nope...It'll stress the chameleon out. Some wont eat or they'll get bullied/hurt.

Only chams you can house together are pygmies.

As for having two different species together, Absolutely no.

Geckos are usually nocturnal so as the lights go off they're out and about and could wake up the chameleon and keep him up all night.

It's best to just house one cham in it's own enclosure, they're also very territorial.

I may get grilled for this picture, but I thought it was funny. Both my panther cham and crested gecko are extremely docile. My gecko doesn't eat ANY insects, and my panther cham has never attacked anything so I thought it would be safe to have them out for ONE picture.

SO PLEASE DON'T GET ANY IDEAS...it's NOT okay to have different reptiles with any species of reptiles.

You could, technically, in a large cage have a chameleon with little lizards, but the latter would probably just end up as food. For example, a member here has a very large, walk-in cage with temperature control. And because it's nice, cool, and always has misting water there must be a handful of little frogs and anoles that have snuck inside and set up camp. Do they bother the chameleon? Probably not, they're small and don't pose any sort of threat. But do they probably end up as lunch every so often? Yes, definitely.

So I wouldn't put anything in their cage that you aren't willing to lose as food. It's easier and safer to keep all pets separate, for their own good.

WARNING GRAPHIC (got to get that disclaimer out of the way on a feeder anole) Got a lot of flack for this picture, but.....yeah...I'll post it again, because I am a butt like that. So I would have to say nope on cagemates.

2013-04-26230428_zpsba05b7e2.jpg

WARNING GRAPHIC (got to get that disclaimer out of the way on a feeder anole) Got a lot of flack for this picture, but.....yeah...I'll post it again, because I am a butt like that. So I would have to say nope on cagemates.

2013-04-26230428_zpsba05b7e2.jpg
that is a SICK picture!!! I've been reading post after post on here and other forums and books etc so i can be as knowledgeable as possible for my first Cham. Im sure you did get some not nice words on it but in nature the same thing happens...not saying ill feed mine an anole...but like said before.. they will eat just about anything that moves...thats still a great picture, you dont see pics like that often

Nope...It'll stress the chameleon out. Some wont eat or they'll get bullied/hurt.

Only chams you can house together are pygmies.

As for having two different species together, Absolutely no.

Geckos are usually nocturnal so as the lights go off they're out and about and could wake up the chameleon and keep him up all night.

It's best to just house one cham in it's own enclosure, they're also very territorial.

I may get grilled for this picture, but I thought it was funny. Both my panther cham and crested gecko are extremely docile. My gecko doesn't eat ANY insects, and my panther cham has never attacked anything so I thought it would be safe to have them out for ONE picture.

SO PLEASE DON'T GET ANY IDEAS...it's NOT okay to have different reptiles with any species of reptiles.

actually there is a couple of species that can be keep together like parsons, hoehnelies, melleris

Back
Top Bottom