Can carpet/pigmy chams live with dart frogs?

Fofo26

Hello there friends.
I used to have a couple of Nosy Be's on a huge large bioactive naturalistic vivarium.
It's about 2x3x8 fts.
Basically they died old, lived a good life. Kept them from 5 years.
I changed a little bit of animals, and bought about 6 darts frogs, you know, to see more animals around, but I do need to keep chameleons in my life.
So my question is, can I have carpet or pigmy chams living in with the frogs?
If so, how many of them can be living together?
It's a very large terrarium, thanks for the help.
This a pic of one the enclosures.

Attachments

• 15613123992808605926265204189780.jpg
    15613123992808605926265204189780.jpg
    302.3 KB · Views: 432
  • 15613124481215518795490883778903.jpg
    15613124481215518795490883778903.jpg
    307.1 KB · Views: 386
Last edited:
I think your biggest concern is diseases transferred from the chameleons to the frogs. Frogs like my Dwarf N.A. and fire-bellied toads still absorb plenty from their environment, and they live below two veiled chameleons. I have no issues. Maybe an aggressive cleanup crew (isopods, worms, and grubs would maybe help.

But what went into your enclosure? What plants did you use? That looks setup looks stellar I think.

Pygmies from Madagascar require much more drastic seasonal temperature fluctuations than tropical dart frogs from south America.

The solution? Look into Mantellas. They are the dart frogs of Madagascar. They are very colorful and take similar care parameters to pygmies.

The problem is not many people are breeding pygmies or mantellas. So you would likely need to deal with wc individuals. If that's the route you take, then be ready to treat the frogs for chytrid. Chytrid is kind of scary. It doesn't need frogs to survive. So it could theoretically spread to your chameleon enclosures (not that it would do any harm to your chams), but if you got more frogs in the future, those chameleon enclosures would need to be cleaned to protect them.

Would I keep mantellas in the same enclosure as pygmies? Sure, why not. It would be worth a try. But...I think that before you keep any two animals together (whether it be male/female or completely different species), it's a good idea to keep them separately to get a baseline of their natural behaviors. Once you get a baseline, you can try keeping them together and see if/how their behavior changes. I feel like the frog(s) would be fine. I would be more worried about the pygmy chameleon.

I think your biggest concern is diseases transferred from the chameleons to the frogs. Frogs like my Dwarf N.A. and fire-bellied toads still absorb plenty from their environment, and they live below two veiled chameleons. I have no issues. Maybe an aggressive cleanup crew (isopods, worms, and grubs would maybe help.

But what went into your enclosure? What plants did you use? That looks setup looks stellar I think.
For pygmy chameleons, you could get away with an established springtail colony. Isopods can nibble into pygmy chameleon eggs causing damage.

Back
Top Bottom