can anyone tell me what these colours mean in my female veiled chameleon

del1976uk

Hi im new to the world of veiled chameleons. I bought her a couple of days ago. The person I got her from didn't have a clue and she wasn't kept in the best of conditions. Firstly he told me she was a male and he was also keeping her with a soil substrate he had got from his garden. It was infested with all kinds of bugs and was filthy. I have moved her into a new better viv and provided lots of branches and foliage and an egg laying bin full of play sand as she is looking vey round and was displaying lots of light blue markings. Since moving her to the new viv she has been displaying a very dark background with almost neon blue and yellow markings. Attached is a picture. Can anyone tell me what this display means? Does it mean that she's pregnant or just full of infertile eggs?

Attachments

• 20140504_204648.jpg
    20140504_204648.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 143
As you probably know they can lay eggs with out being with a male. You have a lay bin so that is good. Mine usually stop eating a couple says before they lay.

She can display gravid colors even if she has not been mated with a male. I read another thread on this subject and one of our members made this statement that her female Veilds showed gravid coloration and did not have fertile eggs.

Thanks for the advice people as far as I know she has never been with a male but like I said the guy I got her from lied to me about a lot so I can't be 100% certain. I've done all I can do for now. I just have to hope that she uses the egg laying box. Do I have to give her extra calcium or vitamins while waiting for her to lay?

Back
Top Bottom