Can anyone tell if my baby veiled chameleon is a male or female?

KingLoki729

I just got this little guy about 2 days ago and I’ve never had a baby before. At the store they said at this young they couldn’t sex it until it gets a little older, but they said it had a big Casque on it for being a baby and also it has yellow bars on it. I can’t tell if it has tarsal Spurs or not, and I wanted to see what you guys thought :).
3822ADC3-2B69-4201-ACBB-9F153F583D45.jpeg
73671830-C49F-496B-8CA7-4A61AE5741EC.jpeg

When I get home I will Im at work at the moment, but are they born with the tarsal spur or does it take a little bit to develop? This is my first one so I’m not sure how this all works yet
It is a tiny nub when they are babies... but they are there. Females will not have a nub there. It will be smooth and rounded. This is the type of angle I need to ensure that I am correct in it being a female. :)

This is a 3 month old males spur.

tarsal bentley.jpg

This is a 7 month old males spur

Tarsal spur1.jpg

Looks female. I am not seeing a tarsal spur. Can you get a pic more straight on at the side of the back feet rather then from above?
2C40532C-C817-4DD8-B8CD-E10F268A2CDF.jpeg

Attachments

• DBD4D784-F960-44A0-8486-6A8E7B48B826.jpeg
    DBD4D784-F960-44A0-8486-6A8E7B48B826.jpeg
    95.1 KB · Views: 196
  • 13AAEE52-466E-4AAA-9B0C-60CE246FCCF1.jpeg
    13AAEE52-466E-4AAA-9B0C-60CE246FCCF1.jpeg
    82.4 KB · Views: 176
I do ,I’ve never had a female😬
So here are the basics for her as far as being different from a male.

As she matures you will have to start cutting back her food. By about 6 months she should be getting about 5-8 small feeders each day. At about 7 months you want to slowly reduce by cutting down feeder amounts so that she is on a feeding schedule of 3 days a week with 3 feeders. You want them to be on this schedule by the time they are 9-10 months old.

You will not ever want basking to be over 78-80 for her. Very important for females because as she ages she needs this temp no higher at basking to help control the amount of eggs she produces.

A lay bin should be added as a permanent fixture by the time they are 6 months old so they get used to it and it does not cause stress.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/laying-bin-set-up-educational-video.77225/

laybin graphic.jpg

Thank you so much! I’ll be coming back here if I have anymore questions because I want to make sure I’m not accidentally mistreating my little buddy, I’ve been doing it for a while but I still don’t know everything!

Thank you so much! I’ll be coming back here if I have anymore questions because I want to make sure I’m not accidentally mistreating my little buddy, I’ve been doing it for a while but I still don’t know everything!
You are welcome and no worries, none of us know everything. 😉

I love this website for thorough husbandry info https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

And if you have any questions at all just let us know.

Back
Top Bottom