Can any one explain?

MissSkittles

Chameleon Enthusiast
Since I got Stella, she’s been a darker muddy color. I’ve assumed that’s just her color.
Today I had to take her to the vet which is supposed to be stressful, right? Well, the entire time she was out, she was a beautiful brilliant lime green. Whether she was in the little box carrier, being handled by me or the vet or whatever...she remained absolutely stunning. For a few mins while being handled she did show a small black stress streak. As soon as she got back into her enclosure, she went muddy again.
I couldn’t get a pic while she was at her brightest, but it was close when I let her soak up a little sun.
Chams turn dark when stressed. Not lighter. Am I wrong on this? Does anyone have any idea why she’s got her color changing reversed?

10A80FD4-2F4D-409C-8F01-BA20878FC06E.jpeg 7BD4F4EE-A337-406E-B5A1-26F156ADE889.jpeg

Mona gets very light pink when she is scared. Dark when she is mad/defensive. Shen she goes to the vet she's V PINK

Last edited:
Okay. I didn’t know that they flaunt their colors when stressed...thought they just go dark. I’ve been comparing her to Miss Grumpy, who stays a medium green. Stella has been in Grumpy’s old small enclosure and I thought maybe she is muddy because she doesn’t like it.
I almost never handle or do anything stressful to either of them, so don’t see their color changes. It was nice to see her looking so bright and gorgeous, but if muddy is content, then muddy is just as beautiful.

Lizzie is a nice green (not lime green) most of the time. When I stress here, she turned Mitch darker with lots of dark green spots all over her. (Actually really pretty)
I never seen Lizzie muddy brown...
Now I’m worried

My male is always muddy dirty looking. Only time his colors come out is while he’s sleeping. Always thought he’s just Always stressed for some reason that I can’t figure out.

Can you post a pic of her whole cage? That’s what melon use to look like all the time when I first got her. Until I upgraded her cage with more plants and spots to hide now it’s kind a mix depending on if she’s gravid or receptive / non receptive. And dark when basking.

Can you post a pic of her whole cage? That’s what melon use to look like all the time when I first got her. Until I upgraded her cage with more plants and spots to hide now it’s kind a mix depending on if she’s gravid or receptive / non receptive. And dark when basking.
It’s too dark to get a decent pic tonight, but I can tomorrow. She actually has quite a bit of foliage, vines/sticks and hiding spots. I had to remove a plant today to be able to get her out. It is quite small though...16x16x30 I think. I was hoping on having been able to upgrade her by now, but it’s one unplanned expense after another. She’s shown no signs of being receptive or gravid since I’ve had her. She does have a lay bin though.
When Grumpy was in that small enclosure it didn’t effect her color at all. I have put up a barrier so the girls can’t see each other. I guess like us, they have different ‘skin’ tones.

Here’s the pic. Yes, there is the correct linear uvb light behind the dome...just using the dome for basking light.

81B9FA2E-4775-4135-BECE-176053FA86E5.jpeg

Here’s the pic. Yes, there is the correct linear uvb light behind the dome...just using the dome for basking light.

View attachment 246895

You cage looks good but she doesn’t have a spot where she can be completely hidden. She has spots to kinda hide but I mean a spot where you can’t see any of her from any angle. You can put some more foliage in a corner of the cage and have the outside blocked off with something. She will be more comfortable knowing there is a place she can retreat to and hide if she wants.

I put her 2nd Pothos back in, which affords a great deal more hiding area for her. Being such a tiny enclosure, the only place left that I can put more foliage would be blocking her lights. I do have a solid (not sheer) shower curtain around 2 1/2 sides, so that too helps her hiding. I’ll be just as happy as she’ll be once I can get her into a much larger enclosure.

71F2EEF2-189D-47EA-9747-6FD20F43ACFD.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom