can a cage be TOO big?

no such thing as too big, they live in the outsideworld, no cage is bigger than that.
it's just a change of scenery thats throwing her(?) off. it'll blow off, chams are territorial in cages. thats all

exactly how i feel...no cage is too large if its still a "cage"..

I agree. The only things are:

Make sure she eats
Make sure she doesn't fall. In the wild, if she falls 3 feet to the floor, she'll have a soft bedding of dead leaves to soften her fall. In a cage, she'll hit the floor hard.

Keep an eye on her and she'll do well. I've kept my male veiled since I got him (at 2 months old) in a 24x24x48" cage and he's fine.

I agree. The only things are:

Make sure she eats
Make sure she doesn't fall. In the wild, if she falls 3 feet to the floor, she'll have a soft bedding of dead leaves to soften her fall. In a cage, she'll hit the floor hard.

Keep an eye on her and she'll do well. I've kept my male veiled since I got him (at 2 months old) in a 24x24x48" cage and he's fine.

totally..constant attention required..as with any baby cham really..and totally true..they seem to take falls pretty well but onto a hard surface would not be good!

By the way, Jay.. Jann's idea of the plastic bins is what I am using to house my babies now. You could do that until your girl is a little older if you feel like her cage is too big for her. If you're going to be paying attention to her most of the time, you can keep her in the big cage.

By the way, Jay.. Jann's idea of the plastic bins is what I am using to house my babies now. You could do that until your girl is a little older if you feel like her cage is too big for her. If you're going to be paying attention to her most of the time, you can keep her in the big cage.

ill go on what you say since your experiencing everything now id like to keep her in the bigger one i just put foliage in and everything to make her feel better about her cage and maybe nibble on some of it if she wants here is a pic of the big cage with foliage i can cut some if it wont kill the plant and her cage im keeping her in the glass enclosure now with a heating pad just added a basking lamp that is clamped above the enclosure
trying to get the pic up

ill go on what you say since your experiencing everything now id like to keep her in the bigger one i just put foliage in and everything to make her feel better about her cage and maybe nibble on some of it if she wants here is a pic of the big cage with foliage i can cut some if it wont kill the plant and her cage im keeping her in the glass enclosure now with a heating pad just added a basking lamp that is clamped above the enclosure
trying to get the pic up

CAREFUL!!

You can cook your cham if you have a basking light in a glass enclosure if you dont have good ventilation. If you have one of the exoterras, its alright. If you're using an aquarium, take the basing bulb out. get a rubbermaid box(you can get them at walmart) and do what Jann showed you. much easier

CAREFUL!!

You can cook your cham if you have a basking light in a glass enclosure if you dont have good ventilation. If you have one of the exoterras, its alright. If you're using an aquarium, take the basing bulb out. get a rubbermaid box(you can get them at walmart) and do what Jann showed you. much easier

1063731322_photobucket_46481_.jpg

1063731322_photobucket_46482_.jpg

I'd take the basking bulb off of her asap since yours is basically and aquarium. You can keep her in the glass. basically the same as a rubbermaid. Just use the UVB light to provide the heat, it'll be enough, dont worry.

If you wanna use the big cage, go for it! Its an awesome cage dude. For feeding, just put the crickets in an opaque container (make sure they are dusted), and if you want, remove their back legs. They wont get out and she'll be able to eat without looking everywhere for them.

I would use the glass or a rubbermaid, IMO you should raise the lightnup higher so her basking is more like 80-82, 85 to 90 is a little hot for her age

I would use the glass or a rubbermaid, IMO you should raise the lightnup higher so her basking is more like 80-82, 85 to 90 is a little hot for her age

With just the UVB light it'll give him the right temps.. Since it is a small glass enclosure, the heat will remain there

I love the work you have done. Just one thought. Why don't you lay screen over (outside) the hardware wire and place the crickets in there? I built my own cage and put screen wire outside the hardware wire. Never have a cricket problem. Or you could just pull the back legs off like everyone says. Lol (I used the black pet screen cloth. It's really easy to work and has large enough holes to let plenty of air in/out.)

Taking legs off crickets seems weird, feels like I shpuld talk in a New Jersey accent and be like "you come round here when you dint pay me? The monkey sent me for you."

I love the work you have done. Just one thought. Why don't you lay screen over (outside) the hardware wire and place the crickets in there? I built my own cage and put screen wire outside the hardware wire. Never have a cricket problem. Or you could just pull the back legs off like everyone says. Lol (I used the black pet screen cloth. It's really easy to work and has large enough holes to let plenty of air in/out.)

well then i still have to worry about the bottom but its a huge cage i decided to stick her in the glass till shes older

well then i still have to worry about the bottom but its a huge cage i decided to stick her in the glass till shes older

I get that. Just sharing a thought. I appreciate your concerns and hope you find a workable balance.

Back
Top Bottom