Camera Questions

Was in the market for a SLR and was curious what cameras members were using and some advice.

I was looking at the Nikon D90 and was curious if anyone currently uses this camera body.

I was also curious about some lenses for shooting mainly wildlife and lanscapes. Most of my travels are nature based and curious any suggestions on lenses.

Thanks

Was in the market for a SLR and was curious what cameras members were using and some advice.

I was looking at the Nikon D90 and was curious if anyone currently uses this camera body.

I was also curious about some lenses for shooting mainly wildlife and lanscapes. Most of my travels are nature based and curious any suggestions on lenses.

Thanks

For its price range, the Nikon D90 is the single best solution currently in the market. Between Canon and Nikon, I prefer Nikon's glass, ergonomics and on-camera controls.

The Nikon D90 has a video capability, but like all DSLRs, its rolling shutter produces a horrendous "jello" artifact, so don't buy it because it "has video". The D90 produces some gorgeous still images (think of the video as a little plus), but if you really want a better video solution from a DSLR, and you don't mind spending a bit more, check out Canon's newest 7D, which has coped with rolling shutter artifacts better (though it's still there) and, coupled with Nikon glass, can also produce fantastic stills.

Nikon's D40 is an awesome little camera if you have a limited budget and would rather save some money to spend on lenses, but again, the winner on the sub $1000 range is the Nikon D90.

Happy shooting.

Fabián

P.S. My staple set of lenses at the moment include a Nikon 28mm f/2.8, Nikon 50mm f/1.8 and a Nikon 105mm f/2.5-- all fast, sharp, but all primes, so they will only work on the D40 in manual (aperture, focus & shutter).

Last edited:
I like the Nikon D3000 and the 60mm macro lens, I've heard that the D90 is a pretty good camera

Thanks

Maybe when you get that camera you can take pictures of your snazzy rack and setup ;)

i have the canon 5dmark2 with a canon 50mm 2,5 macro and 24-105mm L usm.
i like canon:)

Sure, the 5D Mark II is a great camera (still crappy for professional video applications with its rolling shutter artifacts and no 24p, or 25 in your case, frame rate), but a very good camera nonetheless (maybe Canon will learn to not punish their customers by giving the 5D a firmware upgrade for 24p instead of releasing a much cheaper 7D with 24p months later).

Still, that's a $3500.00 camera, a far cry from the D90's price range.

Fabián

I used to have a Nikon D80, but recently switched to a Canon 5D Mark II. Here are a few things I would consider:

When I first started looking at DSLRs I thought that I had to get a camera with the most mega-pixels for my budget. Mega-pixels may count for some, but I learned the hard way that its the sensor size that matters the most. If the sensor size is too small, there are too many pixels trying to fit on that sensor which creates a lot of noise. If you are concentrating on landscapes it won't matter so much, but if you want a real detailed shot, its best to look for a camera with a sensor size close to 35mm (like film). When shopping around, look at the specs of the camera and you will find the sensor size.

I switched to my Canon camera for the sensor size and the great recommendations from friends. I love this camera and I've never been happier with my images. My only complaint is the size. Its huge!! I can definitely feel a difference when I'm holding my new camera.

I must agree with Merumontanus thou, the functionality of the Nikon cameras is much easier than Canons.

But, in at the end of the day it is your decision. I think cameras are a lot like cars. They all work the same, but it comes down to your personal preference that makes the car perfect for you! :) So I would recommend going to a store and "test driving" both of the cameras to see which one is right for you.

Last edited:
My husband just got the Nikon D90 and if you look at the posting in photography Zee at 9 months the top pic is one that he took with the D90 camera and he as only had it since Nov. 13, 2009 and he loves it. It's his "new toy." He got a good deal on ebay, it had lenses cases, filters, tripod and a bunch of other things.

I have the D90. I have had it for about a year now. I actually just posted a thread of photos on here taken with it. I would reccommend it to anyone and everyone who cant afford the D3s yet. I absolutely love it. For long range wildlife, youre going to put out big money for a long prime lens that is fast. The Nikon 80-200 F/2.8 and Sigma 70-200 F/2.8 are great. For close up macro work, about any of the Nikon micro lenses will work, but I love the Nikon 105mm F/2.8 micro the most. If you need a little more reach, the Sigma 150mm F/2.8 macro will do almost as good. I love all of these lenses.

For landscapes, youre going to need a short lens. Anything under 20mm will work, jus look for good glass. Almost all Nikon glass will work. For all purpose photos that arent going to be printed poster size, the Nikno 18-200mm lens works wonders. Its not too fast like the 2.8 lenses, but it will definately get the job done with almost anything you could need when you arent worried about it being super high quality.

Hope this helps.
Mark

Back
Top Bottom